Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is one month in Hokkaido too long? 2015/10/31 17:06
Hello all

I'm thinking about spending one month in Hokkaido (mid-Sep to mid-Oct). I want to see the key national parks (esp. the autumn leaves), eat seasonal foods, etc. Do you think one month is too long - would we get bored?

Also, if anyone knows of a good itinerary for a 3-4 week tour of Hokkaido, please would you let me know. I can only find things for about 12N maximum.

Best wishes!
by RamenEnthusiast  

Re: Is one month in Hokkaido too long? 2015/11/1 12:18
Two to Three weeks is enough.
A month is only needed because that is about the time needed for the autumn colors at the top of the mountain to descend to sea level. Though this depends on year on year climate.

If you are not interested in the city places and non-nature parks than places like Hakodate, Furano, Asahikawa, Sapporo, Otaru can be instantly scrapped off the list. I would however still include such places since you are already planning to go to Hokkaido.

I would recommend going to Aomori and the Hachimantai areas in Tohoku from Hokkaido. The autumn colors there are one of the best in Japan and the culture there is unique.

As for an itinerary, I would spend two nights in each location. Because of the time it takes to get from one place to another and the time it takes to hike/track
Rishiri
Rebun
Onuma
Toya Shikotsu
Kushiro
Akan
Shiretoko
Daisetsuzan may require more than two nights as the trekking will take a LONG time and you would need time to recover your sore feet. Also the area is so large and you'll want to take your time to enjoy the scenery.

Though not national parks:
Biei & Tomanu should be included for their natural beauty.

About three weeks. If you add in Otaru, Hakodate, Lake Toya and a trip to Hachimantai than you'll get your one month.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is one month in Hokkaido too long? 2015/11/2 16:48
Dear JH

Thank you so much for your detailed and quick response.

Best wishes
by RamenEnthusiast rate this post as useful

reply to this thread