Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tokyo to Aomori 2023/12/31 14:41
I have 9 days in Japan, during the Golden Week in 2024. I have 3 options -

1. Take a shinkansen to Aomori from Tokyo and spend all my time in Aomori.
2. Take the train to Aomori but make stops along the way. Spend maybe 3-4 days in Aomori?
3. Drive to Aomori and make stops along the way. Same as option 2, not sure if it would be more expensive or cheaper than taking the train?

I'll be travelling alone, so I'm guessing it would be easier to find accomodation along the way. I have driven in Japan before, but never been to this part of Japan.
by Redryder  

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2023/12/31 17:31
There are many very good sights between Tokyo & Aomori. Why not see some? Driving in the Tohoku Region is pretty much a necessity to see some of them, but you don't need to drive from Tokyo - just take the bullet train up and rent a car locally - that's what I did.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2023/12/31 18:24
If it were me doing this I'd take the train to Sendai and get a car from there going to Aomori via the Sanriko Fukko National Park, Kamaishi, Tono & Morioka. I was planning a trip to Kamaishi in early 2011 & then watched it being destroyed by the tsunami. If I am ever in that part of Japan I would have to visit to pay my respects at the memorial.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2024/1/15 22:48
I have been to Aomori city back in 2018 summer for Nebuta. Honestly the city is pretty small and besides the festival I don't recall it was a supercool city with so much to see, there's a harbour area and of course a fish market where you can make your own seafood bowl purchasing tickets or tokens, I think is called Nokedon.

I'd travel around, I've been to some places of Tohoku and I'd recommend - intermediate or fast pace is my way of traveling.

Sendai half day at least to visit Zuihoden, one full day to do the cruise to Matsushima from Hon Shiogama, once you arrive there spend the afternoon and come back to Sendai city. Don't miss the "gyutan" it's grilled ox tongue, it's delicious.

Then I'd recommend also spend one day doing this, Geibikei gorge, go early, and do the boat tour and pick the train to Hiraizumi and spend the day there visiting Motsuji garden and Chusonji mainly.

Also I recommend Kakunodate in Akita prefecture especially if sakura are bloomed- which I don't know- it's a very well preserved samurai district, half day and then go to Akita, I went there to see Kanto festival but you can try to visit it.

And last but no least at least half day to visit Yamadera in Yamagata prefecture, you can do it from Sendai.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2024/1/16 06:31
Hi there,

I went to Tohoku back in 2016 and had a great time. I would recommend either a train travel with stops along the way or a drive with stops. During my 2016 trip I used only public transportation and I visited :
- Sendai. I used to tourist loop bus, it was very handy -> I recommend Zuihoden
- Matsushima bay (easily accessible from Sendai by train)
- Hiraizumi -> it was a good surprise, I really enjoyed the place. It is very quiet and peaceful
- Morioka -> I stayed there because of the Sansa Odori Matsuri, but since this is in August, you won't be able to enjoy it. However I wen to Tsunagi onsen, a small onsen town nearby with 0% tourists
- Akita -> I stayed there only for the Kanto Matsuri which was amazing, but I don't know whether there are other interests outside this summer festival
- Aomori -> same as before, I went for the Nebuta matsuri. I know there is a nebuta museum you could visit !
- Osorezan => my biggest highlight in Tohoku. Busses are very infrequent and there are practically none outside summer months, so if you want to go there you will have to rent a car. You can probably rent a car in Aomori or Mutsu for the day

Enjoy your trip !
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2024/1/16 06:34
Train to Sendai - 2-3 days for sights, Yamadera, Matsushima bay etc.
Train to Morioka - Hire a car, do rest of trip in car, Akita, Aomori, Iwate etc.
Last day, return hire car to Morioka, train back Tokyo
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Aomori 2024/1/16 07:35
The reply from H above makes the most sense to me.
In the last two years we visited Tohoku and there are too many great places to visit.
We found Morioka to be a great base, an unpretentious little city with great food and the likes of Nyuto onsen are really beautiful, Kakunodate lovely and interesting. car gives a lot of freedom in that part of Japan.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread