Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/4 12:12
Hi,

Is Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Trains covered by the Kansai Mini Pass?

I've compared the price of Kansai Area Pass with the reguIar fare, and found out the pass would not pay off, so I opted in trying the Kansai Mini Pass.

I checked the route map for the Kansai Mini Pass here: https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansaimini/kansaimini.p...

It says rapid and special rapid trains are included, but I'm a bit confused about rapid trains, particularly in the Tokaido-Sanyo line. Google maps is suggesting to take that line, but I don't see the name of the line in the pdf (despite other stop names being the same with the one on the local line.)

Based on our itinerary, for example:
In Day 3 (Kyoto Tower - Osaka)
- google maps suggested to take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Special Rapid Banshu-Ako via Maibara

In Day 4
a. (Osaka - Kiyomizu-dera)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Special Rapid Maibara
b. (Arashiyama Bamboo Forest - Osaka)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Special Rapid Banshu-Ako

In Day 6
a. (Osaka - Ikuta Jinja Shrine)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Aboshi
b. (Steakland Kobekan - Nijigen No Mori)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Kakogawa
c. (Nijigen no mori - Meriken Park)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Maibara
d. (Kobe Chinatown - Osaka)
- take the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Yasu

I certainly know that Tokaido-Sanyo Line is covered by the Kansai Area Pass because of the navitime app. BUT navitime doesn't have the Kansai Mini Pass option, so I'm not sure if it will be the same.

Based on the route map pdf, does the Kansai Mini pass covers the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Trains I mentioned above?
Is there any significance with the rapid trains having different names? Also, how does rapid trains, special rapid trains, and new rapid trains differ?

Thank you.
by kayg  

Re: Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/4 14:00
Is Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Trains covered by the Kansai Mini Pass?

Yes, they are covered between Yamashina and Maiko.

The "Tokaido Main Line" (Tokyo-Kobe) and "Sanyo Main Line" (Kobe-Moji) are the correct, formal names for the train lines; however, they have the popular nicknames "JR Kyoto Line" and "JR Kobe Line", around Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe, and the map on the JR West page about the pass is using only the nicknames.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/4 14:31
Day 4 - Kiyomizudera isn't near any JR line. Would be better served using private railways. Quicker and cheaper than JR options. And now you dont need to use overcrowned slow buses.

Day 6 - half those locations dont even have a train station near them. Pass wont help. All the Kobe locations are fine.

I look at your itinerary, and I dont see a need for the pass.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/4 19:41
Yes, they are covered between Yamashina and Maiko.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? Are Yamashina and Maiko names of a rapid train or names of a station?

Does the Kansai Mini pass covers all of the Tokaido-Sanyo Line Rapid Trains I mentioned above? or just certain rapid trains?

I'm sorry if I don't understand. Thank you.
by kayg rate this post as useful

Re: Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/4 20:07
I look at your itinerary, and I dont see a need for the pass.

Do I just use an ICOCA card for Day 6? Or would the pass be needed since I would be going around Kansai on other days too. Won't I be needing the pass for Kansai Airport-Osaka and vice versa?
by kayg rate this post as useful

Re: Tokaido-Sanyo Line in Kansai Mini Pass 2024/4/5 06:32
You haven't mentioned airports before. So cannot really answer that if those passes help.

But 2 of you 3 days mentioned above don't equal more than 1000 yen a day. And the kobe day is 1160 yen. So I am struggling to see a need for said pass.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread