Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How does a Pass pay off? 2024/4/4 20:02
Let's say I bought a Kansai Pass worth ₱1115, which is about \3000, from Klook valid for 3 consecutive days. How will it pay off? Do I have to use 3000 yen per day? or as long as the total fare reached for three days is over 3000 yen?

Thanks.
by kayg  

Re: How does a Pass pay off? 2024/4/5 05:59
It's not a hard question - if you ride the trains enough during the validity of the pass and at least break even, you're fine. But it is hard to do that in Kansai for most of the passes. For the Kansai Area Pass, you'd really need to go to the furthest reaches of its coverage, or do a LOT of riding to make it worthwhile. Plus, Kansai has a lot of non-JR rail that might be more convenient for you. The Kansai Thru Pass is another option, but it too is not cheap.
It depends where you are going.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How does a Pass pay off? 2024/4/5 07:38
While this question might look funny on the face of it, given some of the other things I've seen in just the last week it is not so silly.
The idea of rail passes in Japan is that if the alternative tickets exceed the cost of buying the pass, then consider it. If the pass is more expensive than the alternatives, don't.
For example - on TripAdvisor someone says they are buying a 14-day JR pass for an Osaka to Tokyo return. Pass cost 80,000 yen, cost of tickets is less than 30,000 yen. Huge waste of money.
Even if there is a small saving like a 7-day national pass versus (say) Tokyo to Hiroshima return (including some other small side trips) - single tickets allow the use of Nozomi so less travel time, more train options and fewer transfers. Time has value, especially when time in the country sightseeing is short.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread