Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/8 16:33
Hello, we have an upcoming 7-day trip planned this Autumn while using the JR Sanyo Sanin Area Pass.
The pass will definitely payoff so were looking for the best spots in the available area with the pass.
We'll be using Shin-Osaka as a home base. We plan on travelling every early morning (6/7am shinkansen)

We've been to Japan for (spring Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Kobe), (autumn Tokyo-Nikko-Hakone), (winter Nagoya-Takayama-Shirakawa-go,Tokyo-Karuizawa-Yuzawa-Kawaguchiko)

1.) Any must see spots with the JR Sanyo Sanin Area Pass?
2.) Recommended Autumn spots in the area?
3.) Any overlooked/hidden gems (food, places, experience) to try?
4.) Tourist traps or overrated/underwhelming places to skip?

Here is the itinerary that is still open to adjustments.

11/29 Fri
PM - night, arrive at KIX airport, redeem & use the rail pass.

11/30 Sat
AM - Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima, Peace Park
PM - to Miyajima then back to Osaka

12/1 Sun
AM - Shin-Osaka to Onomichi
PM - to Okunoshima Rabbit Island, then back to Osaka

12/2 Mon
AM - Shin-Osaka to Okayama, Kiba Plains, biking
PM - to Kurashiki, Okayama Castle, Korakuen then back to Osaka

12/3 Tue
AM - Shin-Osaka to Amanohashidate
PM - to Kinosaki Onsen (stay overnight)

12/4 Wed
AM - Kinosaki Onsen to Tottori
PM - Tottori back to Osaka

12/5 Thu
AM - Shin-Osaka to Hakata,
PM - night, fly out of FUK airport
by avjp12  

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 08:11
5th December 2024
Shin osaka to hakata(in the morning)
Fly home from Fukuoka airport(in the night)
.....Its too rush.stay atleast one day infukuoka
by Roh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 08:20
Itinerary makes litte sense.

You keep going to and from Osaka. When most location are closer to Hiroshima.

Bunny island for example is a 25 minute shinkansen ride to Mihama, then 15 minute local train to the ferry location.

Make no sense to to do it as a day trip from Osaka when already at Hiroshima.

Just look at a map. Start in Osaka, hit you locations, finish in Fukuoka.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 08:32

PM - night, arrive at KIX airport, redeem & use the rail pass.

AM - Shin-Osaka to Amanohashidate
PM - to Kinosaki Onsen (stay overnight

AM - Kinosaki Onsen to Tottori
PM - Tottori back to okayama

AM - Okayama, Kiba Plains, biking
PM - to Kurashiki, Okayama Castle, Korakuen

AM - Okayama to Hiroshima, Peace Park
PM - to Miyajima then back to Osaka

AM - Hiroshima to Onomichi
PM - to Okunoshima Rabbit Island, then back to Osaka

AM - To Fukuoka
PM - night, fly out of FUK airport
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 12:40
I'm afraid I don't understand your question - you ask about must see spots, hidden gems, recommended spots etc., then you make full plans where adding something is hard or impractical.
Plus the constant back and forth from Osaka. Is there some extremely important reason you need to stay in Osaka every night? On your final day of travel, Kinosaki Onsen to Tottori is about 2¼ hours, and Tottori to Osaka is about 2½-3 hours -- so depending on the connection, close to 5 hours of just sitting on trains. Plus the bus to the sand dunes adds another hour, round trip.
It's also dicey going to Okunoshima - you can take the bullet train to Mihara, then a local train to Tadano-Umi, and catch the ferry. When I went, I had it all timed out right, so no wait times. But the ferry leaves every 50-90 minutes, so if you don't plan ahead, a lot more time can get wasted.

Seeing Onomichi takes a lot more than just a couple hours in the morning. At best you could pick a couple places like the Senkoji Temple and Jodoji and end it there. I've been to Onomichi multiple times and have seen most of the temples there, but some are not that memorable.
For Kurashiki, if you go on a Monday, some places will be closed.
Also I don't understand why you'd go all the way back to Osaka from Tottori, and the next morning go all the way to Fukuoka - too much backtracking.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 17:51
I agree with H's comment
most location are closer to Hiroshima

Going back to Osaka every night is a pure waste of time for your itinerary, unless you really like riding trains. If it is a matter of budget, Okayama could be a good base, with slightly lower prices than Hiroshima.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 20:34
Osaka already is boring by itself. Shin Osaka even more so. There is really no good reason I can think why you would like to stay even 1 night in Osaka with your itinerary.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 20:47
I like to keep the same hotel room, I generally enjoy long-distance train riding, and I will often take fairly long day trips (sometimes starting before 7 a.m., so I know the power of this approach). So Ifm certainly not going to get harshly judgmental about your proposed plan. If I put some of my own past itineraries, which have been splendid for me, up on this forum, I would certainly be pilloried. However, I would never attempt to pack as much into a 7-day pass as you are proposing. And itfs not going to fix things much just to change your hotel location. You may or may not have timed out the specific transit for some of these packed days and know that it is theroretically possible (hopefully there wonft be any disruptions or you wonft miss a connection or something, as you would have very little margin). But your choice of destinations just doesnft make a lot of sense to me when there are so many other options available. Okunoshima, Tottori, and Amanohashidate? Personally, I would drop all of those places, to be honest. There is nothing wrong with any of them, but they are sort of gone-trick poniesh that have gotten famous for a single feature, and it is debatable whether you want to have a bunch of them in a single week, when they take so long to get to. And Kinosaki Onsen? Well, itfs a nice onsen but it takes so long to get there. You ask about hidden gems, but there are so many unhidden gems that are much easier to get to if you are staying in Osaka or possibly some city farther west.

Anyway, I like the idea of using the Sanyo Sanin Area Pass (or one of the other passes for western Japan) for an itinerary that involves gcommutingh from one or possibly two hotels. I just think the number of places you are trying to fit in, and the distances and also complexities of getting to some of them, make for a trip where you donft really have enough time in your days to appreciate the places you go to. When you try to do two major destinations in a day you really spread yourselves thin, and having to worry about missing a train, bus, or ferry connection (which could blow your whole day) adds too much stress.

I understand your choice of Osaka (presumably Shin-Osaka) as a home base and would not rule it out if your destinations were closer. (Yes, as a location it is definitely not interesting. Its virtue is its value as a transportation hub, plus hotels there tend to be cheaper than they are in other places that would be more fun in themselves.) I hate to encourage more people to go to Okayama, as it seems to me that hotel prices are starting to go up there, but I have found it to be a really great home base for day trips in western Japan. So if I were going to go to some of the places on your list I might stay there instead of Osaka, as has been proposed. Hiroshima wouldnft be bad, either, although Okayama gives more great sites in Kansai as options. So you might want to take a look at staying at one of those places (or another place with a shinkansen station on the Sanyo line). But frankly, I would revisit your destinations list.

You are never going to visit all of the famous places in Japan, even if you take multiple trips a year for the rest of your lives, so the best thing to do is to pick your home-base and sightseeing destinations carefully, take the time to really enjoy them, and just donft worry about the ones you will never get to.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 21:06
@Kim, when I started reading your comment I could not help thinking "omg, is she going to say the itinerary is fine?!". I am relieved you didn't, haha.

Sorry for contributing to sending more people to Okayama, even more so since I have not slept there myself, and did not particularly like what I saw of the the town during my day trip... I might give it another try someday :)

So I'm going to suggest another location that seems convenient: Mihara, a shinkansen station, which has direct access to Okunoshima, Onomichi and Hiroshima. But it's further from Tottori.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 21:21
Well, I hate to say it, but I think of Okayama as a place to stay (and possibly shop), and not as a place to sightsee. I donft want to demean Korakuen, but I really donft understand how it has gotten on a list of gtop 3h gardens in Japan. It is a nice garden, butc. And the castle? Well, yes, itfs a nice castle, butc Of the places I have been to that are essentially ginh Okayama, Kibitsu Jinja is the only one so far that I would rate highly. I think it is really great. (Maybe I should keep my mouth shut about it.)

I am trying to make a point of getting to know Okayama itself a little better, and I expect I will find more sites there that I like more. I do like the atmosphere of the town, the dining options, and the station complex and the Aeon Mall (if I am at a point in the trip where I have luggage capacity to buy things for going home). But so far I have more or less just been gusingh it as a place to spend nights and occasional resting days.

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 21:43
I might add that I havenft been to the Kibi (not Kiba) Plain area yet (it is on my listc), and I think that looks very promising so I would encourage the original poster to give it a try, weather permitting. (But another thing to keep in mind about day trips where you leave at 6:30 in the morning or something like that is that sometimes you get to your destination before anything is open! So make sure you will actually be able to rent a bike at whatever time it is you are getting there. So many places in Japan donft open until 10 a.m., I have found. Sometimes even 11.)

I would not attempt to visit Kurashiki on the same day that I did a Kibi Plain cycling route AND made a visit to Korakuen and the castle. I recently went to Kurashiki for the specific aim of visiting the Ohara Museum so I didnft allow much time there, and I kind of regretted it. Kurashiki is a place where you could enjoyably spend the whole day. Possibly you could do it after your cycling tour but then go directly back to Shin-Osaka or wherever you are staying.

By the way, one thing complicating the use of rail passes for day trips, especially whirlwind ones, is that JR West seems to be making a lot of the limited express trains reserved-seat only trains. So you can no longer rock up to the platform right before the train leaves and hop on to an unreserved-seating car. Officially, you are supposed to have a seat ticket. Furthermore, with many of the passes (Ifm not sure if the Sanyo-Sanin pass is one of them) there is a limit to how many seat reservations you can make without having to go to a staffed ticket office, and as far as Ifm concerned, staffed JR ticket offices (Midori no Madoguchi) are places to avoid at all costs. They can be the biggest time sucks of your entire trip.

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/9 23:40
Do you have free accommodations in Osaka?
As others have said, with this itinerary, Okayama is the best base. It gives you the best access to your destinations so you can actually spend time there rather than on the train. The only one that is better served from Osaka is Kinosaki Onsen.

For Kinosaki Onsen, if you want to actually enjoy the onsen, you need quite a bit of time. I don't know if you could do Amanohashidate and Kinosaki Onsen in the same day if you really want to make the most of them.

I think your Okayama/Kurashiki day is too rushed. I'd put Okunoshima with Kurashiki on one day and the Kibi Plains and Korakuen Garden and Okayama Castle on the other day. That would make it more realistic.

Since it's getting mention: Korakuen Garden is my favorite of Japan's top three gardens by far. It has a lot of seasonal beauty so there are different highlights in each month/season. It has the best light-ups, and is also the oldest of the top three gardens. In the fall, Korakuen does have a light-up event, but I don't think the dates go into December.

Overall though, your itinerary is rather fast-paced and staying in Osaka is nonsensical. If you fly in from Osaka, go to Amanohashidate/Kinosaki Onsen and then when you finish in Tottori, go to Okayama. If you want a single accommodation, stay in Okayama so you don't lose hours of your travel time on trains every day.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/10 13:58
Thank you for all the helpful advice!

We chose Osaka as a home base because it's one of the more convenient options when traveling to Amanohashidate/Kinosaki Onsen route.
To be honest, the reservation limited trains in this route will be the only headache I feel like. The Sanyo Sanin pass only has 6 reservations by machine and the 7th onwards must be by ticket offices.

I feel that Osaka would be more "lively" at night with more options for shopping/dining compared to staying at Okayama or Hiroshima.

We don't like to lug our luggages around moving hotels and so we prefer staying in one place since we'll probably arrive at Osaka city by 9/10pm by the first day making transport to other cities by then iffy.

Hiroshima is just 1hr30mins away from Shin-Osaka by Nozomi train so I think it's fine to leave by 6/7am since most shops/attractions/restos will be open by 10am anyways.

Riding long distance trains is kind of a relaxation time for me since we can rest, eat up and plan for the next location. I just enjoy riding the trains lol.

We'll look into Okayama as another potential home base and I do agree we have to experience more of Fukuoka and the Yatai stalls at night.
by avjp12 rate this post as useful

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/10 21:42
The reservation limitation thing may or may not be a big deal for you. You donft need reservations for most shinkansen trains, and will likely have no trouble getting unreserved seats on the nozomi, which runs frequently. For limited express trains, as long as you donft want to have flexibility for making up your mind (or changing it) fairly close to departure time, you can make all your reservations in one trip to a ticket office. For me, flexibility is one of the benefits of having an all-you-can-ride pass, so JR Westfs movement towards all-reserved limited express trains, coupled with the limitation on how many reservations you can make without standing in line for ages (ugh) would be a real obstacle to buying one of their many great passes. It is one of the reasons why I will still buy a nationwide JR pass, and I just hope the policies on reservations on those donft change.

I completely understand your position on train riding and am actually happy to see a kindred spirit in that respect. I feel like the overwhelming majority of tourists see trains in Japan as simply a means of transportation, and essentially a necessary evil. And not too many seem to grasp the concept of recreational train riding, or of doing anything on a train other than wishing it would get to the destination faster. So Ifm with you on actually enjoying long-distance trains, and not minding long rides to get to places on a day trip. Where we differ, I think, is on how much sightseeing to try to pack into a day trip. But I like to come back to my home base city fairly early each night. If you donft mind returning after dark each day, you might be able to get some of these busy days to work.

I was underwhelmed by the yatai in Fukuoka, but you will need to decide for yourselves. You are right about Osaka having good nightlife, but you have to get away from Shin-Osaka Station to find it. Okayama is actually not bad in that respect, with a nightlife district very close to the station that has some good izakayas. And there are a lot of good restaurants in the station area. But if you want a really intense nightlife scene, you canft beat Osaka.

Ifm sure you will have a blast on your trip, and will get splendid use out of your rail passes. Enjoy!

Re: 7-day Kansai-Chugoku-Fukuoka itinerary 2024/4/11 02:56
Last Day
Hakata to Fukuoka airport
By subway =260 yen
By nishitetsu bus =280 yen
by MR obama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread