Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 01:52
Hi, I'm looking for hotels in Tokyo for 4 of us - couple with 2 sons(11yo & 7yo) and honestly its hard.
If I enter 3 adults, they will show triple rooms with a reasonable cost, but if I enter 4 adults the price will be much much expensive. Will it ok to just book for 3 adults and let my 7yo son slide in without informing the hotel? and do you guys know about the airbnb rules regarding the total registered persons?
would you also recommend affordable apartment that we can book? thanks
by Ropa  

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 06:34
I just use booking sites and pick apartments. Very little hotels in Japan cater to families bigger than 3.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 06:52
Will it ok to just book for 3 adults and let my 7yo son slide in without informing the hotel?

No. In the worst case someone will call police and you are in trouble.

and do you guys know about the airbnb rules regarding the total registered persons?

I don't know about Airbnb.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 07:39
Given you have to provide a copy of the passport for all guests, falsely accommodating an extra person is a serious matter.
Rather than entering four adults (or two plus two kids), book two rooms. Quad rooms are quite uncommon, but they do exist. Just your pptions will be much more limited.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 08:59
when you choose ˜aŽº, washitu, tatami room, 4 persons are possible. probably difficult to find it in full European-style accommodations, but you can easily find those rooms in Onsen and other sight-seeing areas.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 16:39
Hi
u should write 2 adults and 2 children because your sons are under 12.
by Hana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 16:41
Did you try Keio Plaza in Shinjuku - I saw again - an article today mentioning their quad rooms.
It is a little difficult to advise without knowing your budget.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 19:42
Can the kids share a queen sized bed? Twin rooms in Japanese hotels often have two queen beds.

We've often done it in the past (with only one child, but the same principle applies) where we booked a twin room and us adults happily shared one bed, while our child had the other one.

Of course, we booked and paid for the right number of people.

Otherwise, as said above, tatami rooms are good. Or mixed rooms with both bed(s) and tatami. We've stayed at a few Dormy Inns (possibly "Dormy Inn Premium"s?) where they have rooms with both futon(s) and beds at a fairly reasonable price (especially when you factor in that they also have a public bath, and reasonable breakfast options)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Family With Kids Accomodation Problem 2024/5/9 21:09
I wonder where you are searching and what you consider to be greasonable.h I was kind of curious, so I searched (using random dates) on a popular Japanese-language site and found a huge number of places available for two adults and two children between the ages of 6 and 12. Many of these would NOT be suitable (they will sell you a room with two twin beds that are most definitely NOT queen-sized, and not even gfullh sized), but many of them were (they had two twin beds plus tatami with futons, or four beds that were in some cases regular twins and in some cases bunk beds or three beds plus a sofa or cot). Then I went to the English site of booking.com (which I never use myself, but it seems reputable enough), and I also found a fairly large number of places. Of these, many were not suitable but a number of them were, and of those some were what I would consider to be greasonable.h

Ifm not sure why you are looking for 3 adults or for 4 adults. You need to specify 2 adults and 2 children (and Japanese hotels make you indicate the age range of the children). Of course you are not going to find rooms for 2 adults and 2 children if you search on rooms for adults only. As indicated in several posts, you should definitely NOT put more people (even little ones) into a room than you have booked the room for. This simply does not fly in Japan and you could have serious problems.

I donft have time to go through search results myself and suggest suitable properties, but I donft think the situation is nearly as grim as you seem to be suggesting. Lots of Japanese families with two kids stay in hotels in Tokyo... Of course, I donft know your budget. If you are trying to find places for 20,000 yen a night or something, of course you will have some trouble. Something like 40,000 or 50,000 is more likely to get you some viable options (although there is typically a large upcharge on weekends). Some of these will have a mini-kitchen or at least a microwave, which could be handy and save you money on restaurants. This is about what you would expect to pay for two smallish rooms at a budget hotel these days, but I donft think that booking two separate rooms is all that great a solution, with kids your age. (If they were teenagers, then it would work better, as you could stick the kids in one room by themselves and they would likely love that.)

A few things that might help:

There are a couple of chains that specialize in rooms for family-size groups: the MONday Apart chain and the Mimaru chain. Mimaru tends to be quite expensive (in my opinion); I donft know anything about MONday. You could look at these. The location will play a factor in the price (so if you stay in less popular areas that are still reasonably convenient because they are close to transit you can get a much cheaper room). If you want to stay in the most popular areas (such as Shinjuku or Shibuya) be prepared to pay extremely high rates. But Ifm not sure those are the best locations to stay with young children anyway.

The Super Hotel chain has a number of properties that will sell you connecting rooms that each have one twin bed and one bunk bed. The rooms are really small but the bed configuration would work and the prices are usually pretty low, so getting two rooms would not be terribly expensive. Just make sure you are booking connecting rooms. There are also quite a few other Tokyo hotels that have connecting rooms, but unfortunately it is not easy to find these by searching in English. Often you have to know that a hotel has them, and then contact the hotel directly to book them.

Hotel Sardonyx Tokyo (NOT Sardonyx Ueno) is one specific property that I have stayed at in the past that is popular with Japanese families (partly because it is well-situated for getting to Tokyo Disney). Their twin rooms are not too small and have two large beds (full, not queen). It is right in the middle of Tokyo, quite close to Tokyo Station. Rates tend to be high on weekends. (It used to be fairly cheap in the past but not anymore, is my sense. Hotel prices in Tokyo have gone up a lot in recent years. I hardly ever stay there myself anymore because of poor gcost performanceh.)

As mentioned in some other posts, Japanese-style rooms can more easily accommodate 4 adults because they donft have fixed beds. There are a fair number of such properties in Tokyo, but many of them will not come up in English booking site search results. If you can get names of candidate properties sometimes you can book directly with the property online in English, or else contact them to book.

If I had a couple of hours and knew your dates and budget I might be able to give you a longer list of possibilities, but the searching is time-consuming and you have to know what to look for. A lot of search results are not specific enough. One thing that is extremely important is that you look carefully at any booking you make to be absolutely certain that you have adequate-size beds. Otherwise you could end up with two beds that are really not big enough for 1 adult and 1 child to co-sleep (let alone two adults). And you should also make sure that the room itself isnft super tiny. I saw a lot of results come up that were suspiciously small (15 square meters or less), although I also saw a lot that were 25 square meters or greater, which could work depending on the bed arrangement. (Donft expect a lot of floor space for suitcases until you get up at least this big.)

I donft know anything about airbnb except that in the past there were a lot of issues with properties cancelling on short notice and also that there is no front desk to help you if you have any problems (such as a sick child late at night). I wouldnft take a chance on airbnb if I had kids, but many people use it with no issues and I get the sense it has gotten more reliable (?) in recent years as some of the legal issues have presumably (?) been sorted out.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread