Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Learn Japanese Before Visiting 2011/5/24 14:21
Now that I got suggestions of my previous posts about my first travel to Japan, including the first places to visit and when is the best time to visit Japan, I have my next question. My next question: Do I need to learn Japanese before I visit Japan for the first time?
by JonathanTokyo  

... 2011/5/24 14:53
No, you don't.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Learn Japanese before Visiting 2011/5/24 14:57
No you don't need to learn the language before travelling. But learning and using the five basic words of any foreign language before travelling is always appreciated by the locals when you get there - and Japan is no different.
by djmid rate this post as useful

Agree - No Need to Learn Japanese 2011/5/25 01:01
I agree there is no hard requirement to know Japanese prior to visiting Japan...though I also agree knowing a few words is common courtesy that will be much appreciated by your hosts.

You will have no problem at hotels as the staff will know English. This will drop off as you venture about...even moreso as you get away from the big cities like Tokyo. My first visit to Fukuoka, for example, was greeted with a noticable drop-off in the number of people able to converse in English vs.Tokyo and Yokohama.

Even in larger cities, once you are out and about, you should not expect to be able to walk up to people and speak in English. In restaurants -- particularly the smaller ones -- you will find yourself pointing to things on the menu (or plastic models in the window) for the most part. However, do not allow this to discourage you venturing around town, visiting the smaller shops and cafes. The Japanese are wonderful hosts who generally show great patience in communicating with you. Also, so much of Japan is an immersion experience, you just never know what you will come across. My willingness to 'wander about' has been rewarded with sights that even my Japanese friends have said are a rare treat.

Enjoy!
by lex luther rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/25 03:01
As the others have said, it's really not necessary but a few words is always helpful. Lots of signs in Tokyo (stations etc) also have English so it's easy to get around and in the event that you look lost more often than not you'll find a friendly person who can speak some English come up and ask you if you need help. That happened to me quite a few times.

'Sumimasen' (Excuse me) is useful for when trying to get off a crowded train.

Konnichiwa (Hello), Ohayo (Good Morning) and of course Arigato (Thank you) in shops.

In restaurants, even McDonalds (and such) you'll just be able to point at the menu and indicate how many you want with your fingers.
by B (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese 2011/5/25 05:56
by yomic (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread