Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money to take for 1 week? 2011/5/26 00:23
Hi,

I've recently booked a trip to Japan through gapadventures.com (Roam Japan). Through this I will be spending 3 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Kyoto & 3 days in Osaka. All accommodation/flights are included in the price I paid for the trip, as are internal travel costs such as the bullet train. Basically I'm wondering how much money you would expect me to spend over this time so I can budget for it effectively. I have previously been told by a friend that £500/$810/66,600 should be fine, would you agree? (Assuming i'll be buying nothing other than food/visiting the main attractions in the places mentioned).

I am very grateful for any help you can offer me.

Many thanks,

Rik
by Rik (guest)  

sounds pretty close 2011/5/26 11:08
there is a page on this site somewhere that explains it, ultimately though you can get a good lunch for under 1500JPY, though dinner can be exey depending on where you eat, though you'd still be able to get something budget, maybe a nice curry, for 1000JPY, and beer is cheap. The Lawsons shops have enough goodies for breakfast, so less than 1000 for that. So I'd guess that on 6000JPY per day you'd stll be eating well, most entry fees are under 1000JPY unless you are talking theme parks, and snacks are cheap. You might be just a little light on for cash, but you could do it.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

cash 2011/5/26 14:20
Don't you have a bank card you use at home to get cash from an ATM? You can use it in Japan if you card as a Cirrus, Maestro or Plus logos
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

My recent trip 2011/5/26 16:04
to be comfortable, I recommend 120000 JPY according to my recent trip without shopping. But then again, some could say that's excessive. However, I was on vacation, :)
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/5/26 16:29
Thanks for the response guys!

The only cards I have are Visa debit. Are these likely to be accepted? Are cash machines plentiful? I've heard conflicting things about this.

My budget can probably stretch to around 85,000 for the week. But it will be a group tour so I guess I will be restricted in spending in some respects (wont always have the say in where we eat etc). And I'm then off to China for 3 weeks. Again if you have any idea how much I should be looking at for China then I'd be very appreciative!

thanks again
by Rik (guest) rate this post as useful

If that helps... 2011/5/26 17:41
Just for your information...^^;

ordinary prices for me...I'm Japanese!

lunch: 700-850yen
dinner: 850-2000yen
ramen: 750-850yen
Osaka-style Okonomiyaki: 650-850yen

yakiniku restaurant(beef barbecue restaurant): 2500-5000yen/per person

famous sushi restaurant: 5000-10000yen/per person
reasonable sushi restaurant: 2500-4000yen/per person
sushi-go-round restaurant: 1500-2000yen/per person
tap beer(500ml): 500-650yen

In Tokyo and tourist spots, everything is a little more expensive than other places.

a plastic bottle of green tea(500ml)F150yen
a canned drink(350ml) at the vending machine: 120yen
a sandwich at convenience-store: 200-300yen

Enjoy your trip!
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

Excellent, Many thanks! 2011/5/26 17:45
Many thanks to the above poster!!

That gives me a great idea of what to budget for! Really helpful thank you!

Rik

Lunch/Dinner 2011/5/26 20:01
Wow, how do we get lunch and dinner at such affordable prices?

Do we have to go to the alleyways or stuff?

I cant seem to find food that are around 1500Yen...
by metallickgoz rate this post as useful

Yes 2011/5/26 21:08
I agree with K. There are many local chain and family restaurants offering tasty meals (dinner/lunch) for less than 1,000.

You'll be fine!

by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Alleyways... 2011/5/27 19:52
...and main streets as well! In fact, as long as you stay away from the top floors of skyscrapers, you are bound to find cheap places, although I don't think 1500 is cheap for lunch...

Look up some chain restaurants online that you want to try. Chains like CoCoIchi curry, Yoshinoya and Sukiya has cheap restaurants all over the place, look near rail stations and along the streets leading from them.

In the back alleys you are more likely to find pubs and small family-run restaurants, which are probably more expensive. The food at these places are very hit and miss: Sometimes incredibly tasty, sometimes quite bland (though never bad).
by A Certain Homosexual Teleporter (guest) rate this post as useful

if that helps... 2011/5/27 23:05
Here are some ideas!

GURUNAVI is a well-known Japanese restaurant guide.
I'll introduce an English version GURUNAVI.
http://www.gnavi.co.jp/en/

ex)sushi restaurant --- keyword (lunch for less than 1000yen)
http://rds.gnavi.co.jp/lang/en/?area=PREF13&ctgry=CTG111&bdgt_l=[%3B1000]

I hope this website is useful for all of you...
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again 2011/5/27 23:30
Many thanks guys, You've given me a great help in getting an idea of what the food is going to cost and what to budget for!! Really appreciate it!

Rik

reply to this thread