Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Greatest path to climb Mt Fuji 2011/9/3 07:01
Hi,

I'm planning to climb Mt Fuji around September 20-25, if the weather is favorable enough.

Which one of the 4 main trails do you consider as the most beautiful (path itself & landscape) ?
I'll climb up and down the same day, then I'm going to start from a "5th station".

For the ascent, I hesitate between Subashiri Trail and Yoshida Trail. Subashiri Trail seems to be around 1h longer, but the first bus arrives there 1h before the first for the Yoshida Trail (8:10 and 9:20 if i'm not wrong). The difficulty shouldn't be a problem : I would like to pick the nicest one, if there is any notable difference.

For the descent, I hesitate between Yoshida Trail and Fujinomiya Trail. Same question.

Thank you for your advices :)
by Vincent SWI  

... 2011/9/3 10:52
In my opinion, climbing the mountain is about achievement and possibly spiritual purposes, but the hike itself is rather unattractive. The views might be nice at first, but they don't change once you start hiking. The paths are mostly on the exposed slopes of the mountain without much variety or points of interest.

The Subashiri trail has some forested areas in the lowest section, which provide just a little bit of variety.

On the way down, some hikers enjoy the Osunabashiri "great sand run" along the Gotemba trail:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6929.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2011/9/9 06:24
Thank you for your advices
by Vincent SWI rate this post as useful

Aren't all shops closed.... 2011/9/9 07:52
by now? I was under the impression that the climb season was July 1-August 31.... That's when the huts and shops are open. If you climb any other time, aren't you on your own?
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/9 08:12
September is still pretty popular for hiking Mount Fuji because there is no snow yet. Some huts and shops are open until mid September. But physically fit, well equipped mountaineers can do it without huts and shops. And even in a day trip. It is certainly not recommended to the average tourist, though. And the winds and sudden weather changes can be dangerous.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread