Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass vs Package Tours 2011/9/7 16:25
Hello I need to know if the JR pass also allow you to use all local cars, buses, trams etc in every city (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima). I am staying for 14 days at least 3 days on every city.

Please advice.

Another question is if I have a JR pass is it a good idea to join the tours some of the package tours include shenkansen pass, hotel and the tour guide. So looks like I am paying twice for the train. In this case, I should just do it by my own. Please advice.

Thanks.
Mary Grace
by Mary Grace Dizon (guest)  

here you go 2011/9/7 18:41
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
This tells you all you need to know.
JR Pass in general does NOT cover buses, subways etc only JR trains.
Check the map of each city and the info about getting around on this site: it will tell you everything you need to know about transport options.
Some tours (eg day trip to Hakone etc ) reduce the cost by the cost of the Shinkansen ticket if you already have a JR Pass.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Definitely JR PASS 2011/9/8 02:09
JR Pass only covers the JR Trains (Yamanote, Chuo, Sobu Lines in Tokyo), the JR Buses in any city and the JR Ferry from Hiroshima to Miyajima.

We didn't join any tours each time we went to Japan but had our own itineraries using the JR Passes from Tokyo all the way to Beppu visiting Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kanazawa, Niigata Pref.

Have fun...
by A WELLS (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/8 08:05
I can't say definitely without knowing the details of your itinerary, but a 14-day Japan Rail Pass is likely to be the best value. That is unless you are willing to ride overnight buses, in which case a Japan Bus Pass could be 3-4 times cheaper:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2369.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread