Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai in winter? 2011/10/18 09:11
Hi!

I'm planning to go to Kansai around January, and was wondering are there specific places that are recommended to visit there around that time. (I don't hear much about Kansai during winter... only for spring/autumn)

Anywhere in Kansai is okay, but preferably in/around Kyoto/Osaka :)

Thanks!
by jerry (guest)  

Re: Kansai in winter? 2011/10/19 07:26
All of Kansai's destinations are great around the year, in my opinion.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai in winter? 2011/10/19 19:14
Well, if there is snow, then that is actually considered to be the "best time" to visit Kinkakuji Temple, because of the contrast between the white snow and the shining gold of the temple. Snow is pretty rare though.

If it's cold in Kyoto, Suzumushi-dera is a nice place to go. It is a temple filled with crickets in a cage. You enter and listen to the crickets as you have tea and a small snack and the priest talks. It's very warm inside and the sound is nice.

Basically, the sites you may want to avoid will be gardens or any site that relies a lot on nature to make it nice, because the trees and grass will be dead/dying. Places like Shosei-en Garden, the Philosopher's Path, etc. will probably not be good choices. Some places can be surprising, though. I visited Gioji (a moss temple in Arashiyama) in January and the moss was still a bright, vivid green.

But for most sites, while nature definitely can ENHANCE the experience, their value and beauty is not dependent upon it. They are great as they are!

There are many places in Kyoto that are great, Osaka is just a city so the season doesn't affect most of its sites, Mount Koya should be fine, Hikone doesn't rely on seasons either.

Places like Ise Shrine that have many pines are also unaffected by the season. Actually, New Years is the best time of year to visit Ise Shrine for Hatsumode.

Nara is also great for seasonless travel. Todaiji Temple and Kasuga Shrine are no better in one season over another. Horyuji Temple is the same.

Kobe also isn't a particular seasonal city, so it's also worth consideration, although it's also less interesting than every location listed above in my opinion.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai in winter? 2011/10/19 23:58
Kobe is famous for it's beautiful night view!
Above all view from Mt Rokko(Mt Maya) is marvelous!
Thanks for its clear atmosphere, winter is the best season!
http://kobe-mari.maxs.jp/kobe_nightview/nightspot_rokko.
(sorry it is Japanese site)
by H1r0ko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread