Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso in a day from Nagoya 2011/12/12 04:41
Is it possible to leave from Nagoya and visit Magome and walk the trail to Tsumago and back to Nagoya in a day...I read that its truly beautiful

Is it worth doing this?

If it is, what would be the best way to get there and does any one know the exact buses or trains that I would need to take...thanks
by Viv1  

Re: Kiso in a day from Nagoya 2011/12/12 10:03
Yes, that is easily possible.

Access options are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6079.html?aFROM=2155_6075
by Uji rate this post as useful

walk from Magome to Tsumago and on to Nagiso 2011/12/12 12:44
I did this route a couple of years back leaving and returning to Kyoto.

The elevation change between Magome and Tsumago isn't that much, but it's definitely easier to walk from Magome to Tsumago than in reverse. That means catching a train to Nakatsugawa station, linking up to a bus to Magome (the stop is right outside the station, and walk to Tsumago. You can catch a bus from Tsumago to the train station, but I recommend to continue on for an extra hour (probably 45 minutes, really) to get to Nagiso town, where you can catch a train back to Nagoya. You'll meet few people on the trail and it's a nice forest setting on both sections, including a couple of waterfalls between Magome and Tsumago.

When you arrive in Magome, go to tourist information and they've got a bilingual map of hike for 50 yen (as of 2009) that'll help you find landmarks along the way. I can also recommend getting a chestnut soft ice cream cone (assuming it's not bitingly cold when you go) in Tsumago as a reward for doing the hike.

Happy walking.
by mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso in a day from Nagoya 2011/12/12 23:32
Thanks Mike, its the chestnut ice cream thats got me! how long did it take you to walk the trail, I am guessing 2.5 hrs, and you suggest walking from Magome to Nagiso, why is that? is there a trail to the train station, I am doing it hoping for good photo opportunities along the way.
by Viv1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread