Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with transportation passes 2012/1/26 18:48
Hi there!

I've been looking-up a lot of information from Japan Guide (super resourceful site!) to plan my upcoming trip this spring but there are a few things that are still a bit unclear to me.

1) Can I purchase two Suica/N'EX combo packages at the same time when I arrive at Narita airport?
I'll be staying for 19 days so the round trip package won't work for me because the N'EX ticket is only valid for 2 weeks...

2) Icoca, Surutto Kansai card or Kansai pass?
This one makes my head spin the most because unlike Tokyo, the Kansai area has so many different rail companies and the JR pass alone won't reach certain places. To summarize the non-JR lines I'll need to use over 5 days:

Day 1: Round-trip on Iga-Kambe line (Iga-Ueno to Uenoshi). This seems to be an old station that might not support the Icoca card. While it is possible to get to Iga-Ueno using the JR pass, Kintetsu limited express trains sometimes line-up faster especially in early mornings according to Hyperdia.

Day 2: From Kyoto station, a bus or subway to Ginkakuji Temple + return bus or subway from Kiyomizudera Temple (plan to walk between the two temples since there is a lot of things to see on the way).

Day 3: Lots of Keihan rail traveling...Essentially Kyoto station to Shichijo station, then Shichijo to Chushojima, Chushojima to Kowata, Kowata to Osaka.

Day 4: Kyoto subway to reach Nijo castle + Nishiki market and back.

Day 5: Kobe travelling. The Glicopia museum is pretty far and requires using the Kobe City Subway + bus (round-trip). The Hanshin Main Line also needs to be used for a roundtrip to vist Meriken park from either Shin-Kobe or JR Sannomiya stations.

Is there any card that fully covers all these routes over a span of 5 days or will I need to use multiple types? I'm thinking the Surutto Kansai might work but since there are so many different rail companies, buses or subway systems involved I'm not 100% certain...

Any advice would be appreciated and sorry if this question comes-up often :(
I've been going in circles thinking too hard about it...
by Misa (guest)  

Re: Help with transportation passes 2012/1/27 16:39
Surutto Kansai Prepaid card covers:

Day1(Iga-kanbe), Day3, Day4, Day5(no idea about Kobe Suburban Bus)
by v (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with transportation passes 2012/1/27 16:47
Correction

Iga Railway Iga Line does NOT accept ANY prepaid card. Just pay 350yen, 1way.
by v (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with transportation passes 2012/1/27 19:01
One cannot buy two N'Ex passes at once. If you're there more than 14 days, you'll have to pay the full price to return to Narita.
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with transportation passes 2012/1/28 00:25
Thank you!
Guess I'll just re-arrange my JR pass date to start when I arrive and use a Suica/N'EX combo for the return trip on the last few days.

So overall it is the Kyoto City buses, Iga-Kanbe and possibly Kobe suburban bus that are not covered by prepaid tickets :(
by Misa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread