Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/23 06:29
I am flying into Haneda airport next weekend early morning and will need to get from there to Shinjuku. I can see I need to take the Keiku line to Shinagawa and then change to the Yamanote line. I have a manaca IC card from last year with money on it I hope still works but will this be good for the whole journey on those lines?

Is there somewhere I can find out what lines or journeys the IC card can be used for anywhere? Hoping to go to Yokohama while I'm there but assuming it doesnt cover that and will need a proper train ticket?

TIA!
by Carenza  

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/23 08:44
I can see I need to take the Keiku line to Shinagawa and then change to the Yamanote line.

That is one of the possible ways of travel. Others are explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html?aFROM=2430_3011

I have a manaca IC card from last year with money on it I hope still works but will this be good for the whole journey on those lines?

Yes, Manaca can be used on Keikyu and JR. It can also be used on the monorail and the subways, but it cannot be used on airport buses.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/23 08:46
Is there somewhere I can find out what lines or journeys the IC card can be used for anywhere?

This page explains the basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Hoping to go to Yokohama while I'm there but assuming it doesnt cover that and will need a proper train ticket?

Yes, it does cover virtually all trains and buses to and around Yokohama. Two exceptions are the shinkansen and airport buses. Also, if you take limited express trains (i.e. Narita Express, Odoriko), you have to purchase the limited express fee separately.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/24 06:24
Thank you. I did read those pages and figured I was okay with the card but didn't want to get there and find I was wrong as I wouldn't know until it was too late. So I can probably use it for Yokohama too, that would be cool. I had so much money left on that card last year for some reason so will try and use it all up this time on vending machines and whatever!
by Carenza rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/24 20:59
You can consider the monorail package, it will depend on the days, and the price will be 500Yen to any location on the Yamanote line.

http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/english/tickets/value/yamanote.html
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/24 22:02
Yes, it does cover virtually all trains and buses to and around Yokohama. Two exceptions are the shinkansen and airport buses.

Another is the Seaside Line: http://www.seasideline.co.jp/lang/en/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/24 22:16
Tokyo Monorail offers a discount ticket between Haneda airport station and Shinjuku for weekends special offer of 500 Yen(normally charged 690 Yen). You can save a bit if you buy the ticket.
You can buy it from the ticket machine with your IC card. There is an IC card slot on the ticket machine.
Or ask one of Tokyo monorail staff there how to buy a weekends discount ticket with your IC card.
http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/english/tickets/purchase.html

But you need to go to Hamamatsu-cho sta by Tokyo Monorail first, switch to Yamanote line for Shinjuku sta next. You must use the discount ticket as you go in Haneda airport sta and Mahahatsu-cho sta, it will automatically be collected in Shinjuku sta.
At Hamamatsu-cho sta, go to platform No,3, which the Yamanote line goes to Shinjuku.

For Yokohama,
By JR line, you can go by Shonan-Shinjuku line for Yokohama from Platform No.1.

By Tokyo metro
Go to "Shinjuku-sanchome station" which is about 7 mins walking distance from Tokyo metro Shinjuku sta.
Go to platform No.3 in Shinjuku-sanchome station. Fukutoshin line takes you to Yokohama station. Check the destination first, Motomachi-Chinatown destination takes you to Yokohama, but, "Kikuna" and "Musashi-Kosugi" destination stops before you get to Yokohama. You can wait for the other train which goes to Yokohama if the train stops in Kikuna or Musashi-Kosugi stations.

Your IC card balance can be checked with ticket machines. You can spent your balance at major supermarkets, combini stores, station kiosk and some station shops(restaurants, coffee shops, cake shops, souvenir shops etc. You can also ask to check the IC balance at those shops.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/24 22:28
Your IC card balance can be checked with ticket machines.

Also on vending machines: just pass your card on the reader, the balance will be displayed on the screen (you don't have to buy anything).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/29 08:21
Thank you everyone, that info is very helpful! I planned to use the monorail route so happy to know I do need to get a specific ticket first. It will be on the weekend so that's good. I just need to get over my fear of asking people at train stations. I want to check my IC card is in working order and the balance anyway so will try and do that first thing.

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/29 08:29
Just FYI, HND to Shinjuku is so much easier and now faster by bus after completion of a new toll road. It only takes ~25 minutes and you don't have to worry about lugging your bags to from train platforms. Limobus doesn't take an IC card, though.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda to Shinjuku (IC card) 2015/5/29 11:15
Thank you. Hadn't thought of that! I've looked and I think I will be good with the trains on arrival as I have very little luggage, am in no hurry and it's cheaper. However I see they do pick up at my hotel to go back to the airport and that is definitely more valuable as I'll have more luggage going back I'm sure and will make it much easier. I'll check with my hotel how I can go about booking that!

reply to this thread