Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 01:43
Is this the right time to visit Japan with all the earthquake, It seems like the earthquake is getting worst.
My visit to Japan Tokyo will be on the 8th June, I will also be visiting minakami, kustasu and Ito/atami with a rental car.
by kms899  

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 10:59
Earthquakes happen in Japan all the time. I'm leaving for Japan in 2 weeks and I am not worried. Do note that I also used to live in Japan.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 11:16
It seems like the earthquake is getting worst.

I'm not sure they are actually getting worse (it seems the absolute numbers have been steadily decreasing since the 2011 earthquake), rather I think it's more that earthquakes in Japan are being reported on more these days in the international media which may give the impression that they are getting worse.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 13:50
Geologically Japan does seem to be more active at the moment -volcanoes at Aso, Hakone, Shindake, Sakurjima etc are part of the moving earth. But that does not mean you have to deliberately go into harms' way. Earthquakes remain basically unpredictable.

Everywhere has some kind of natural disaster be it floods, blizzards, Aussie bush fires, dust storms etc. Would you avoid the USA because it sometimes has hurricanes or tornadoes?

(I live in an earthquake prone city and will be travelling to Japan at the end of June again - not worried.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 13:59
I went not long after the terrible earthquake in 2011, and I look back at it as one of the best trips I've had. There were fewer overseas visitors and the locals really seemed to appreciate the custom. I'd go.

I have to say though that even I get the willies when I see the tsunami evacuation signs in the coastal areas.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 14:36
If I were you I would wait til earthquake season is over.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 15:12
If I were you I would wait til earthquake season is over.

"earthquake season" ? Never heard of such thing.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 15:46
Shinji, I think you have failed to recognise sarcasm.
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/1 16:04

Useful information courtesy of H7c :

This is records of past from latest.
http://www.tenki.jp/bousai/earthquake/entries

Last 100 days shaked over 470 times as over "level 1".
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/2 02:19
Example:
In the two weeks you be in Japan, there would be about 56 earthquake that have happen that you wont have notice at all.

Don't worry, I was in Japan for almost 3 months at one point and the only one I actually felt was only 5.5 one and I only noticed it because my laptop was "slightly" moving. So 1 out of aprox 360 equals you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/2 04:23
Thanks to everyone for the quick response, @ Seiko, I kind of like the earthquake season.

I've experienced earthquake in other countries, but that's like 2-3 time is a few year, nothing like Japan where earthquake is very common. I been to Japan twice, but haven't experienced earthquake unless it was so small, or it actually passed through my sleep.

And yes, there has been a lot media's lately on earthquake and volcanos in japan, so I just don't want it to ruin my trip.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/2 11:20
Earthquakes that have the potential to affect your trip significantly only happen once or twice a decade and tend to be quite localized. I would worry more about the rainy season and typhoons, as those have a greater chance of affecting your visit next week.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/2 18:07
We are just wrapping up our 5-week stay in Japan. We experienced at least 5 earthquakes in 5 weeks, most minor ones and more than we ever experienced during several trips to Japan combined. Earthquakes are unpredictable and you will have to roll with the punches ;-) If there is one earthquake prone country that does a lot in earthquake awareness and prevention it is Japan. Building codes are strict and buildings are built to withstand earthquakes up to a certain magnitude, if I'm not mistaken up to a 9.0, someone please correct me if that is wrong. Trains will come to an abrupt stop, lots of elevators will stop at the nearest floor when a quake hits. Three weeks ago the Shinkansen we were on came to a quick stop due to an earthquake in the Fukushima area. Last week the building we are staying in was swaying back and forth and the elevator stopped when a strong quake hit offshore and also affected the Tokyo area. Not used to earthquakes this was a strange experience for sure, but it is all designed to function this way and it did. Hopefully the earthquake preparedness here in Japan will give you peace of mind.
Have a wonderful trip and safe travels!
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/3 06:47
@yllwsmrf

I've already changed my itinerary many time to overcome the typhoon season and rainy season, hopefully it doesn't affect my trip.
I was looking forward to the Izu island for onsen, I'll want till next time for this.

@Dutch Ann

Thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll get through my 9 Days trip.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Japan during the earthquake 2015/6/3 14:10
@yll: I leave in an island that surrounded by other islands and a continent so I am Natural Disaster Free!

I experienced earthquake in Kyoto once. Was doing my school's online assignment. (Assignments during holidays!!) when i felt a slight rock on my chair. I instantly, IM my classmate who happened to be in the same hotel in the same city and she felt it too.

Nothing to worry about much. another friend of mine was in Hakone during the 2011 hit. The merchandise of the souvenir shop fell but there was no injuries suffered. I doubt such severe earthquakes happen frequently ... perhaps once in 2 decades.
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread