Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best transportation for my trip? 2015/6/1 11:08
I'll be traveling to Japan for a month and week, and I'm unsure of what kind of pass I should purchase, if I should purchase one at all. I'll be staying in the Saitama Perfecture and the closes station is Tobudobutsukoen. If the duration of my trip ill be traveling to the Tokyo and the areas around quite a bit, also up north but staying within this eastern region.

I've considered getting the Japan Rail Pass, but I don't see the point when I wouldn't be traveling to Kyoto or Osaka... or traveling along Japan in general. Also, it wouldn't be useful on the Tobu rail line since its a private company.

IDK what to do... Would it be best to buy a suica or pasmo card?? Is there even a way to save money on transportation at this point? I saw that there are commuter passes, but do they have them for the Tobu Skytree rail line?

if anyone responds... THANK YOU. This will be my first time traveling to Japan and I'm a little nervous. THANKS A BUNCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP.
by Vanessa Fowler  

Re: Best transportation for my trip? 2015/6/1 16:33
You won't be able to get a commuter pass - these are issued for long periods of time and you can only use them for a certain route (i.e., the route a commuter would take to work).

Try calculating your trip prices on hyperdia.com/en and then decide if a Pass would pay off (there are more than just the Japan Rail Pass - have a look on this site). Don't forget your airport trip! If no Pass is of value, just stick with a Suica/Pasmo. These actually do save you money, though a miniscule amount: if a fare is, say, 198 yen, paying for your ticket in cash would actually cost you 200 yen, so a prepaid card saves you 2 yen.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation for my trip? 2015/6/1 17:57
You *could get a commuter pass but it'll only pay off if you travel the same route on a daily basis, which probably doesn't fit your travel plans. Otherwise, there's not much you can do for saving on train tickets so a regular suica/pasmo card like sq mentioned is probably your best bet. You can supplement that with highway buses for longer trips.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best transportation for my trip? 2015/6/2 14:24
Thank you so much!!
by Vanessa Fowler rate this post as useful

reply to this thread