Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 13:06
Hi,
Sorry for the awkward question line but wondering if someone have been staying in a place in Japan and been stuck (not being able to fly or train) when having to return to your international departure airport. By stuck I mean caused by sudden bad weather, or typhoons, earthquakes, etc... resulting in you not being able to travel back in time and missign the international flight back home.

I suppose it is up to oneself to plan accodingly to weather and to be close enough to the airport but then again, weather might be unpredictable.

What did you do in such a case?
by somename (guest)  

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 13:21
You buy a new ticket, or change your existing one if possible (and pay the appropriate penalty), what else? If you want special treatment from your airline, you have to pay accordingly.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 13:51

By stuck I mean caused by sudden bad weather, or typhoons

My only experience was domestic flight , cancelled due to typhoons.
The JAC replaced with the later flight free of charge.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 14:15
Airlines don't take responsibility of that kind of stuff. But you can try writing to whatever feedback address they have and see if you can get some coupons as compensation. I've don't that and got that before, although it wasn't due to bad weather.

Lesson: Transits are trickier than you'd think.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 14:45
My daughter was in the major earthquake in March 2011. In fact she was in Tokyo Station waiting for the N'EX to go to the international airport, when it struck. Obviously she didn't catch the flight , she was booked on... it didn't depart that night anyway. The Four Seasons Hotel put her and others up free, on their sofas in the bars, giving them free soup, free showers and towels. When she could she contacted the airline and was advised to just get to the airport whenever and she would be given a seat if the plane was able to depart the next day. And she did. The NÉX didn't go for several weeks but the local trains did Others that she met who were going to different countries contacted their airlines. I do not believe anyone was charged extra, and some friends whose flights didn't arrive, chose different destinations.
Always have travel insurance. In an emergency especially a large one, most of Japan, including the airlines and railway companies know about it and will help in anyway possible. Contact your airline as soon as possible after the disaster.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 14:50
Yes, if the flight is cancelled, the airline has to rebook you (because it's the airline which didn't fulfill its part of the contract), but not if you just miss it and it leaves without you.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 16:54
I had a near miss and since then I book a hotel at Narita town for the last night in Japan; it is lovely town to visit with the big temple complex and loads of tiny restaurants so it is a win-win situation really.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight because of being stuck 2015/7/8 20:38
Have travel insurance - that helps cover the extra costs. The airline is not obliged to cover you if you fail to make it to the airport on time. It also depends on your flight class and airline.

There might be special circumstances (like the Great Eastern Earthquake) where other temporary rules might apply, but other stoppages or breakdowns in transport (like a traffic jam) are just normal travel events - not specific to Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread