Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 04:06
Good eve,
I have travelled to Japan some times before, always staying for a few days at the same location doing sidetrips from there. One time I used Ta-q-bin and once a big locker, as well as storing it in Toyoko Inn for a night.

However, this time I will do less stay in the same place. As I know taking a big suitcases on Japanese trains is a hassle I would need some advise on planning, as doing Ta-q-bin all the time would be a bit expensive and bothersome (waiting for the lugguage) imo.

I will be flying in and out from Osaka, but it would make no sense to put it in a storage place for the two weeks in Japan.

I used a dragging cart sort of suitcase last time. Maybe I should use a big backpack instead? But still the issue with train travel...

I can do without it for 2-3 days traveling with a smaller backpack.

I am not used to backpacking travel and not sure if I can handle 10-15 kgs on my back for two weeks.

If anyone have any ideas on how to plan please let me know.
by Lu (guest)  

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 11:33
If your suitcase is so big as to be a bother to bring on trains, it's probably bigger than necessary. I traveled for 6 weeks with just a ~15kg travel bag with no problem, most hotels have coin laundries.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 14:16
Firas,
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I might have packed a bit too much, being an old boy scout prepared for the most. I usually aim to pack for 1 week of change, then laundry up when needed. I guess I just wish for some souvenirspace so to say.

How big is the 15 kg suitcase you use?

I went down taking some measures on my suitcase, outer measures 64 x 47 x 26 cm (25 x 18.5 x 10 in).

I also have a "smaller" suitcase (60 x 42 x 23 cm (23.5 x 16.5 x 9 in).

Then I got a backpacker rucksack. It's a bit old but only used once so I could not find out exact measures but apparently 65 l adjustable to less if needed.
by Lo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 14:40
Might add the suitcase I used fitted well in the big coin locker in Hiroshima station, not sure how big the size of the locker though.

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 16:19
We recommend out guests have bags 75x50x25cm or smaller as they are not too hard to put on the shinkansen luggage racks, or travel with on some of the smaller trains.

Some (rather than most) hotels have coin laundries - depends on the brand - but you can check that as you book. It is also fairly easy to wash (and get dry) a few items each day in your room is you are happy doing that.

I've not seen too much use for takkyubin services as they are next day, and taking a trolley case around isn't hard.

Also, make sure you can carry it up stairs as many train stations do not have escalators (despite what others might claim) - stairs are very common - even in some shinkansen stations.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 20:38
I didn't dare put my suitcase on the shinkansen racket as it looked like it would tip over. I think it was too long or thick so to say.

The stairs was a huge annoyance with the one I used, probably mostly because of it's weight.

Do you think the smaller suitcase available would be better?

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/10 23:17
Your largest suitcase really isn't that big. Just take it on the train with you. If it won't fit in the rack on the Shinkansen, try and place it behind the last row of seats. If there is no room there, you can always just keep it between your legs at your seat...not comfortable but better than nothing.

Stairs are common in train stations, correct. But take a look around the platform you are on, there just might be an elevator.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/11 00:17
daai maou,
I thought it felt very big compared to those mini-dragging carts I saw all around last time.

Way back traveling with my friend (whom I later got the smaller suitcase from) in Sapporo, I remember his bag fit in front of his feet, but not mine.

Not sure how much space is on regular trains compared to Shinkansen, for instance ltd. express trains. If the train is much people on it, then it would feel embarassing to haul it onto the train, even if a ltd express, as i would feel like a nuisance...

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/11 02:19
Lo,

The dimensions you described are what I would consider medium sized luggage. If you can compromise on what you are taking and get it to fit into a smaller bag maybe that will make you feel better. But as long as you avoid the morning rush hour in large cities like Tokyo having your bag on a local train shouldn't be too much of a concern.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lugguage planning question 2015/7/11 17:25
I wont be using much local trains in Tokyo this time, mostly Shinkansen, some limited express trains. How big space can be expected on limited express trains?

Only annoyance would be if doing stopovers along the way, a coin locker of course but the big ones are rare...

reply to this thread