Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/7/31 02:58
Hi,
I am going to Japan for 16 days in September, but not sure which train pass to buy. I will arrive at Kansai airport and depart from Haneda airport. Is this itinerary too rushed? I want to spend my time in Osaka and Tokyo shopping. I was thinking of buying the Osaka Amazing Pass, Kansai Thru Pass and maybe the JR Pass.
Thanks

Day 1-3 (Osaka)
Osaka Castle
Universal Studios

Day 4-5 (Kobe)
Kobe Harborland
Meriken Park
China Town
Himeji Castle

Day 6-7 (Kyoto)
Amanohashidate
Nijo Castle
Nishiki Market
Kyoto Imperial Palace

Day 8-9
Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route

Day 9-10
Lake Kawaguchiko
Fuji-Q Highland

Day 11-16 (Tokyo)
Disneyland
Tsukiji Fish Market
Ginza
Akihabara

by Ariesbear (guest)  

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 07:01
Can anyone help? Thanks
by Ariesbear (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 09:55
Buying all three passes would be a waste of money. The JR Pass typically only pays off if you make a round trip between Tokyo and the Kansai area - according to your itinerary you are not. Use hyperdia.com/en to check the train prices to determine if the other passes will pay off (the Osaka Amazing Pass might if you do more sightseeing; don't use it on the USJ day). Look into passes for the Mt. Fuji area - there is a section of this website that can help.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 10:00
{qs} The JR Pass typically only pays off if you make a round trip between Tokyo and the Kansai area - according to your itinerary you are not.{qs}

Did you actually read the OP's post?
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 10:27
I just calculated using Hyperdia.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Kansai Wide Area Pass 8500 yen plus normal tickets (Kyoto to Toyama 8590 yen, Shinanoomachi to Tokyo 9620 yen=26710 yen.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

Normal tickets (970+970+5510+4300+8590+9620) 29960 yen

Japan Rail Pass 7 days 29110 yen.

Of course, there are some differences, but I would prefer Japan rail pass 7 days because you will get more freedom in selecting the trains, and in any case you will not use Nozomi train which is not allowed for the Japan Rail Pass users.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 10:32
By the way if you do not want to go to Amanohashidate, which is a long journey from Kobe (and then Amanohasidate to Kyoto), normal tickets will be much cheaper.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 11:04
Ohara - did YOU read the OP's post? They are arriving in Kansai Airport and departing from Haneda. That is NOT a round trip between Kansai and Tokyo.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass to buy? 2015/8/7 21:51
Your big transportation problem is how to see the alpine route from Kyoto, and then get to Tokyo. going to Amanohashidate will also cost a lot. The first thought is to use a JR Pass.

Amanohashidate is a two hour train ride from Kyoto Station, and that's if you take the limited express train. The first one leaves at 9:30 AM, and arrives at 11:30 AM. The last limited express train departs from Amanohashidate at 6:47 PM, so, it is possible to do this as a side trip, but I would recommend this as an overnight stay, and spend more time there. The JR pass will pay for most of the limited express train, but there is a portion of the tracks that is owned by a private company, so expect to pay a surcharge for this section to the conductor.

That said, two days in Kyoto , which includes a side trip to Amanohashidate is a bit rushed.

You might look into adding Takayama to your trip, and use the Nohi Bus line to get there. You can get to the alpine route from here. The Nohi Bus line has a bus from Kyoto to Takayama, and another one from Takayama to Tokyo. Here is a link to the Nohi bus line:

http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

Check out the bottom of the page for the convenience packages for the Alps. I would also think about going to Shirakawa-go from here. This is changing your itinerary around a bit, but this could be very cost effective

So, it is possible, and may cost less, to use the bus. If you do get a JR pass, and you really want to go to Amanihashidate, I would suggest that you cut back on Osaka and Kobe, and include Miyajima and Matsushime, and get all three of the most scenic places in Japan. This is somewhat of the "In for a penny, in for a pound" point of view on the JR Pass.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2250.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread