Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/3 14:31
Hi guys, I'll be traveling to Osaka this October and will be staying at either a place in Shin Imamiya with a personal room and attached bathroom OR a capsule hotel near Shinsaibashi.

I have heard of how Shin Imamiya is in a dingy area etc. The hotel that I'm staying at is walking distance to Shin Imamiya station so would it be ok if a lone female traveller like me walk back at night? I prefer having my privacy and personal bathroom but the idea of the location seems a bit daunting.

Another option is a capsule hotel near Shinsaibashi. The capsule hotel has better reviews, looks much cleaner and has a women's only section. But of course that would mean less privacy and I'd have to share the bathroom with many others. There's also noise to boot.

The price is almost the same...so it's now a choice between having privacy or safety (or at least peace of mind).

I understand that Japan is safe place (I live here! Just not in Osaka) so some people's definition of "unsafe" may not reflect reality. Anyone here have experience staying or visiting the Shin Imamiya area?
by SR (guest)  

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/3 18:18
I've not stayed. I've visited. It's fine. I don't see any problem. There may be some drunk guys. But they are mostly harmless.
by Joshua (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/3 19:16
Stayed in a hotel in Shin-Imamiya in early March for two nights. Solo female traveller. Everything was fine.
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/3 21:55
a capsule hotel in Shinsaibashi is better than a hotel in Shin-Imamiya.
you don't know the origin of hotels in Shin-Imamiya. it was a cheap staying place for day-payed workers, 簡易宿泊所. in the past they came together every (early) morning for catching one day's job to a certain place where many job suppliers came. if they didn't catch jobs, they slept and drunk on roads from the morning. they peed everywhere on roads. you don't know how dirty Shin-Imamiya station is, when compared to other stations. also, the area around Shin-Imamiya is the famous place where you can buy drugs in Osaka at present time.
it is not the place where ordinary people to go.
because you don't know the history, you can stay there.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/3 23:19
Shinsaibashi is much safer.

For some reason you need to visit Shin-Imamiya station area, never visit the southern part of station which locate Airin district, Shin-sekai and Tobita-shinchi day or night. These places are the worst area in JP.
Do not walk near Shin-Imamiya station after sunset. Stay inside accommodation and always lock the door and window. If anybody makes yell or come close to you, say something, just ignore and keep on going. Never turn back and look.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/4 00:24
I would not go as far as to say stay away day or night. The Shin-sekai area is nice in the day and early evening, along with Spa World.

But it's true that the area becomes very seedy and full of thousands of homeless people at night.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Lone female staying at Shin Imamiya? 2015/8/4 20:15
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'll go with the capsule hotel at Shinsaibashi. Better to be safe than sorry.

I have heard of stories and actually did read up on the history of the Airin area which was why I was pretty concerned about staying there at first. I have nothing against homeless people but as a female traveling on my own I tend to be more cautious.
by SR (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread