Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakodate for cherry blossoms? 2015/9/15 22:57
Hi!

We're planning to go to Hokkaido next spring to see cherry blossoms, particularly in Hakodate.

I read from past reports in this website it seems the best time to go is late April. However, I heard the end of April to first few days of May is golden week in Japan. Will it be very crowded in Hakodate (or Hokkaido for that matter) that time? We're concered if we go there any earlier it might be too early to see sakura, so we're thinking of just risking it...

We went to Kyoto/Osaka before during cherry blossom season, and it was crazy crowded.

Any opinions of thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
by Max (guest)  

Re: Hakodate for cherry blossoms? 2015/9/18 21:39
Hi,

Cherry blossom spots will always be crowded, regardless of whether it is a holiday or not. Of course, Golden week is going to be even busier. I wouldn't let it deter you, though. The crowdedness is part of Japan's charm. It's your chance to get invited by some guys and girls drinking under the cherry blossoms and get free alcohol :)

Cherry blossoms are tricky, one year they might blossom a week earlier and the other a week later. Meaning that they could potentially be a long way from opening when you go, they could be perfect, or almost gone. That's the risk you take when travelling to Japan for the sakura. Sticking to the site's recommendation is probably best, despite other downsides that might be attached to it. It's better to see the sakura through the crowds than to not see them at all, right?
by DTryPleX rate this post as useful

reply to this thread