Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel in Hokaido for first time 2015/10/31 14:10
Our family is coming to Hokaido this Nov 26th- 2nd Dec. At first i am thinking to go on self drive, however been told now is already snowing. However i believe Hokaido is good for free & easy. Please advice how should i go around with the objective i want to have more private tour and also flexibility. Mean time please advice itinery. Would like suggestion for skiing.
by Pororo Jane  

Re: Travel in Hokaido for first time 2015/11/1 09:33
If your location, Malaysia, is correct, then I would highly discourage you from driving in Hokkaido in the snow. Unless you are very experienced driving in winter conditions, Hokkaido can be very difficult for you to drive. If you are traveling from area to area, you will find it is quite remote and if you have any driving difficulties (accident or breakdown), it can be quite a while before anyone may get to you.

I have driven in the snow in Tohoku and it was rather scary at times!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in Hokaido for first time 2015/11/1 09:52
Yes, there is snow in Hokkaido already, and driving in the ice and snow is different from simply driving on a wet road or in the rain.

Depending on your driving experience, and the routes you are planning, you might be ok if you are cautious (other people will be driving afterall). If you are not confident or have not been driving very long (or in open countryside), maybe skip the driving.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in Hokaido for first time 2015/11/1 12:21
If you have the money, you can get the private tour you so desired.
Japan Experience is one such website. There are a number of advertisements from travel companies on Japan Guide site. Take your pick of private tours.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread