Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Asuka, Uji or Yakushi-ji/Horyu-ji? 2015/10/31 17:49
Much needed travel advice/recommendation please..!

I'll be in Nara for 2 days this November, and so far I've planned to spend my first day around the town area (deer, gardens, etc. etc)

The second day though, I wasn't sure if I should visit
1. Asuka,
2. Uji, or
3. Yakushi-ji/Horyu-ji

My priorities for this trip is really looking at autumn leaves, and if can get in some lovely tea while I'm at it I will be a very, very happy girl =D

Yakushi-ji and Horyu-ji are really only there because they seem nice and touristy with some nice autumn viewing, but I'm not so into temples and shrines that I would spend two whole days looking at them ^^" But if there's some reason why I should visit them over Asuka/Uji please do let me know..!

Just some extra info if it can help with the advice: I'm spending one day in Himeji after Nara, about 3-4 days in Osaka, and then another 3 in Kyoto (can't go Uji then, because our schedule for then is wayyy too packed as is @.@)

Any advice/recommendations/help would really be appreciated!
by anraelsi (guest)  

Re: Asuka, Uji or Yakushi-ji/Horyu-ji? 2015/11/1 12:08
Great! Kyoto needs many days. I would even take a day off Osaka for Kyoto. Himeji needs half a day, max.

I would choose Uji for the green tea. Though, you could probably go to Kyoto as Uji tea is imported to there and munch at a classy green tea cafe/dessert shop. The river running through Uji is impressive and they do have a mountain trail for the autumn leaves. Southern bank of the Uji River, East of Byodoin. (Good 15 minutes walk from Byodoin)
The town is also very charming.

Though Mt Takao in Kyoto and the trail north of Osaka both have good natural autumn colors too.

Ive never been to Asuka, but from what I've seen it is mostly rocks and stuff. If you are into ruins or archeological stuff it'll interest you.

Yakushi and Horyu are pretty and can be seen in a short while. If need be, you can do this with Uji since Uji main attractions are closely located. If you however, wish to visit an actual tea plantation then you really have to get out of the way and it'll take more time. There are tea plantation tours that you can google. Besides Uji there are others in Kyoto Prefecture you can go to too.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asuka, Uji or Yakushi-ji/Horyu-ji? 2015/11/2 22:07
Thanks so much for your reply!

Since Uji's attractions are all close together, I might just drop by for a little after Kyoto, before I fly off =D (I was thinking more about the view around Hasedera in Asuka)

I'm really being ambitious this trip - thanks so much for your reply, it's really helped =D

Btw I'm spending some time in Osaka because I've got one day at a ryokan, and another full day at USJ~ XD
by anraelsi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asuka, Uji or Yakushi-ji/Horyu-ji? 2015/11/2 22:27
Actually sorry I'm terrible (can't make up my mind like I said...) but I'll probably forgo Asuka completely and stick to Uji hahhaha (Hasedera and the Tanzan shire aren't so accessible, and I have limited daylight...!!)

Once again, thanks so much for your help! =D
by anraelsi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread