Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu hikes 2020/2/13 12:19
Hello. I am a mid level hiker who lives in Japan. While I have been to Kyushu many times, it was mostly for hiking in Yakushima. I am now looking for a 4-5 days hiking trip to the mainland Kyushu at the end of February (could not push it more into the March due to scheduling conflicts) and was wondering how the scenery may be like during that time. My priority is Kirishima National Park (pending the lifting of volcano activity alert) but I am open to any other suggestions you may have. I was thinking of basing myself in Ebino Kogen and do day hikes from there. Any suggestions or links to your own experience in the area/blog posts are welcomed.
by Bizarre Journeys  

Re: Kyushu hikes 2020/2/14 09:15
The area has countless mountains, as you probably are already aware. Aside from Kirishima, Kuju is another big area with lots of hiking. Hikosan is one of the more famous mountains nearby also.
If you have not looked through it yet,
https://japanhike.wordpress.com
has a lot of places to explore.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu hikes 2020/2/14 09:17
Dear Ken, thank you for the reply. I was also wondering about the scenery in late February and early March. Should I mostly expect dirt colored grounds since it may be too early for a mix of green scenery + volcanic landscapes?
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu hikes 2020/2/14 15:33
Honestly, a lot of the scenery is browned out til after the cherry blossoms.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu hikes 2020/2/14 15:34
Thats very helpful. I think I will this time do the iseji route of kumano kodo and postpone the Kyushu hikes to the later part of April.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread