Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/21 11:06
Ifm trying to find the gcorrecth way to pay the additional fee when using a national JR Pass to ride the Super Hakuto from Kyoto to Tottoric but canft seem to find the answer. I purchased my pass through the official JR website but when trying to use their seat reservation service I just get a message saying gyoufll have to pay extrah.

Ifve seen other people say that they just waited for an attendant to check their ticket on the train (during the Chizu portion) and they paid the fee on the spotc but therefs gotta be a way to do that ahead of time, right? Would a JR ticket office (at Kyoto Station, or any other JR station) be able to facilitate the prepayment of the surcharge? Or can I do it via a Chizu website or something like that?
by xtsquintx  

Re: How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/21 12:44
The easiest method is to pay on board of the train. I am not even sure whether the JR ticket staff is able to sell you the ticket for the non-JR section, but you can try it if you want. Seems more complicated to me, though. If you do, please report back on this thread how it went.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/22 08:19
Thanks for the confirmation about paying in-board, itfs good to know that is the default method.

Do you know how would that work if you were trying to get a reserved seat though? Would I just make a reservation via JR for the Kyoto to Kamigori segment and remain in that same seat, expecting to just pay the slightly more expensive surcharge when an attendant comes around? Or is there a chance someone else will have reserved that same seat (via Chizu) for that segment, and then they show up saying gwhy are you on my seat??h.

Ifll probably just use the unreserved car in the first place, but just wondering if anyone else tried for reserved seats w/ a JR Pass.
by xtsquintx rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/22 12:59
Seat reservations will allow you to remain in the same seat for the entire train journey.

Re: How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/22 15:33
Thanks for the help Uji!

I talked to a JR today and they also had no idea how to pay the Chizu surcharge ahead of time. She did however give me seat reservations for the two JR-run segments of the trip. Ifll report back if I do ever get more info on how to pre-pay before boarding.
by xtsquintx rate this post as useful

Re: How to pay Chizu railway surcharge? 2023/10/22 15:34
Great! Thanks! Have a nice trip!

reply to this thread