Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/18 08:53
I'm spending a day in port, Thursday 25th April, on the Westerdam and I can't locate exactly where the ship will dock. I want to visit Mt Hakodate by ropeway and happy to use bus or tram. Then to visit the museum of Northern peoples. Which method of travel is recommended please ?

A second question, the ship excursions are sold out, so will there be local operators near the cruise terminal looking for business on cruise ship days ?
by Ralphc  

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/18 15:33
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/18 15:40
Thanks for the links, the top one I already looked at, but it mentions two possible berths and the the other one gives three options. I was hoping a local would know which of these is used currently by the major cruise lines (Holland America). When I contacted the shipping line, they just advised me to use the Whats in Port site too !

Not very helpful ;-)
by Ralphc rate this post as useful

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/18 23:04
In October/2018, I was on Westerdam cruising from Alaska to Yakohama, and our ship called on Hakodate for a day.

It is true that which wharf the ship docks depends on what other berths have been taken. In 2018 we docked at the Ichiei (一映) wharf, 2.8 km north of the city center, but the port authority provided free shuttles to the JR Hakodate station. One way ride on the shuttle took 20 minutes. However, your ship may be able to dock within walking distance of the morning market, which is next to the JR Hakodate station.

I visited the morning market first, therefore I did not see if any local operator was looking for business in front of the JR Hakodate station. By the way, there is a TI office inside the JR Hakodate station.

To get around Hakodate, you may take a tram or taxi. Taxis won't be expensive because the distances are short.

To get to Mt. Hakodate, you may take a tram to Jujigai then walk to the ropeway station, or take a taxi directly to the ropeway station. Buses will be sparse until after 4 pm. But, google the ropeway's schedule first to see if it is operating on the day when you are in town.

From Google Maps, the closest tram stop to the City Museum of Northern People is Suehirocho, just one stop after Jujigai on tram # 5.

If you prefer a guide, contact the Hakodate Goodwill Guide Association to request a guide ahead of time. They offer a 4-hour "Good Will Guide" tour for 5000 yen per group, and you'll pay the guide's food, entrance fees, transportation fees etc.
https://hakodategoodwill.wixsite.com/hakodatesgg

by mctz666 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/18 23:50
.... (type error), Yokohama not Yakohama.
by mctz666 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/19 10:11
For anyone else following this thread, According to the Port Authority:
Westerdam will moor at Wakamatsu wharf which the terminal is located.
Our port have just one terminal used for cruise ship.
(other terminal is used for ferry)
by Ralphc rate this post as useful

Re: Hakodate cruise terminal 2024/2/19 13:00

Last time during our cruise there were free shuttle buses from the cruise terminal to the Hakodate station.
Also, the end of April could be perfect timing for sakura, so you might not want to miss the Goryokaku Fort.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread