Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Car hire in Japan for Nikko region 2024/2/28 16:58
Hi,

we (my wife and I and adult son) are going to visit Japan for the first time, flying over Mid March.

Our first stop after leaving Tokyo is a place called Hacho No Yu in Nikko National Park. After that we spend 2 days staying in Nikko, planning to visit attractions and do some walks in the Nikko National Park again.

Generally we plan to use public transport in Japan, but for this part of the trip (around Nikko) I'm wondering whether it would be easier to hire a car. It seems that while many places can be accessed via public transport, it takes a lot longer to get there, which is an issue given limited time.

I've heard that driving in Japan is something best avoided by those who have not spent a bit of time as a passenger to get used to some of the quirks of driving in Japan, but maybe just driving around that area it might be OK? I think there are no tolls on the roads (they are 'National Routes')

Also, if using a car, is it necessary or helpful to have a slightly more powerful car, or will a small car do?

In another country I've had a previous experience of renting a small car with an engine not powerful enough to handle the slopes and would like to avoid a repeat of that.

Thanks for any advice on this.
by Klaus Weber (guest)  

Re: Car hire in Japan for Nikko region 2024/2/29 12:26
I donft think that deriving in Japan is specially difficult. Just takes time. So yeah, renting a car in Nikko area (or even from Tokyo to Nikko area and back) is not a bad idea.

Driving in Japan is generally slow (specially compared to Germany where maybe you are from) and rural roads are small BUT that doesnft mean you canft drive on them. Just donft be in a rush. It may take a bit to get used driving in the left, but as youfll rent a car made for it I always found it quite easy to adapt.
Plus most cars in Japan are automatic cars so driving can actually be quite boring.
Depending on the country of your driving license the process of getting a permit to drive in Japan is different. Check it out as it may add half a day in Tokyo doing the paperwork.

Regarding type of car is actually get a small one : speed limits are anyway low, streets can be small and parking lots as well. Although in Nikko area parking lots arenft probably going to be an issue. Get a hotel that has one though.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Car hire in Japan for Nikko region 2024/2/29 16:31
Thanks for this advice, that's very helpful!
I've already got the international driving permit and I live in Australia, so used to driving on the left.
by Klaus Weber (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Car hire in Japan for Nikko region 2024/2/29 18:16
Driving in Japan is fine. As LikeBike says, speed limits are low, and a small car is good. (I like to take the opportunity to hire something like a Cube car - because they're cute and we don't get them where I'm from). Lots of roads are narrow and parking spaces can be small.

I wouldn't drive from big city to big city (public transport is too good), but we've often had a car for a few days to go to smaller places.

I've used ToCoo a few times (no connection - just a happy customer) as they consolidate several rental companies and have an easy user interface. It may be cheaper to go via individual companies but I've never tried the comparison.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Car hire in Japan for Nikko region 2024/2/29 18:38
I can't think of an easier place abroad to drive than Japan tbh.
Fellow drivers are relaxed, the pace isn't aggressive, everything is generally well-signed, cars are automatic.
The only issue is for those unused to driving on the left but IME you get used to it pretty quickly.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread