Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Self drive in Aomori + Parking information 2024/3/3 19:13
Hi everyone. I am planning a trip to Aomori. We plan to stay at Aomori City as a base and rent a car to drive to attractions.
As it is our first time driving in Japan, will like to know generally the parking charges in Aomori?
Also, how do we pay for the parking charges? Is credit card or cash allowed?

We plan to drive from Aomori city to Hirosaki Castle and Hirosaki Apple Park on Day 2.
How do I know where are the parking spaces nearby? Is there some website or APP that can find parking information?

Second question. Does it make sense to driver from Aomori city to Lake Towada and back to Aomorit city for the night, followed by next time drive from Aomori to Hachinohe? Or better to stay at Lake Towada and drive from there to Hachinohe?

thanks all in advance
by katherine (guest)  

Re: Self drive in Aomori + Parking information 2024/3/4 01:06
As it is our first time driving in Japan, will like to know generally the parking charges in Aomori?

In the city centers, I would expect 100-200 yen per hour abd around 1000 yen overnight. Gradually cheaper as you move to the city outskits. And often free outside of the cities. In national parks, you sometimes pay 400-500 yen per use, regardless of how long you park.

Also, how do we pay for the parking charges? Is credit card or cash allowed?

Generally cash. Sometimes credit cards and digital payment methods, such as IC cards (like Suica), but I would not expect it. Note also that many machines accept only 10 yen coins and above and 1000 yen bills, but no larger bills. Some have problems with certain 500 yen coins.

How do I know where are the parking spaces nearby? Is there some website or APP that can find parking information?

Google map has been working quite well for me in that regard. Otherwise, it can make sense to research parking options in advance on the internet.

Does it make sense to driver from Aomori city to Lake Towada and back to Aomorit city for the night, followed by next time drive from Aomori to Hachinohe? Or better to stay at Lake Towada and drive from there to Hachinohe?

The latter option not only involves less driving (about a third less), but it also gives you the opportunity to stay at a nice lodging somehwere in the national park. If you have a car, I definitely recommend it over returning to Aomori.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread