Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/7 06:35
I plan to go to Nikko using a Nikko All Area Pass. On this Japan Guide website (as well as in the pamphlet on Tobu website, https://www.tobu.co.jp/en/pdf/Pamphlet_en.pdf ), it is stated that :
"It is not possible to get off at stations between Asakusa and the Nikko area, except at Tokyo Skytree Station and Tochigi Station".
My question is the following :
when starting the trip in Tokyo, do I need to board in Asakusa station and this station only if I use the Nikko pass ?
In different terms, with the Nikko Pass, would I be able to board the Tobu-Isesaki line train using a different station still on the Tobu-Isesaki line, for instance Ushida or Kita-Senju slightly located more north than Asakusa ?

Thank you all in advance for any input.
by Eaque Arcana  

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/7 14:34
So you want to get on,get off unlimited times in Tobu railway,then buy tobu nikko pass is wrong decision.you must buy greater tokyo pass 5 day:7200 yen ,unlimited ride tobu rail
by Lima (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/8 00:53
You could possibly also start your trip from the Tokyo Syktree or Tochigi Station, but passing the gates at any other station is technically not possible.

And of course you don't need to use the overpriced Greater Tokyo Pass, as mentioned by the previous poster. It won't pay off unless you do a LOT additional train riding. Instead, if you start your trip from somewhere else along the Tobu Line, I recommend to use your IC card for the ride to Nikko (or buy regular paper tickets) and then use a day pass for buses from there. These passes are introduced here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html#section_orientation
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/8 08:38
The pamphlet shows the stations you can get on and that includes Kita-Senju. The other station mentioned (Ushida), even if you got onto the platform, you would simply be standing there as the train goes straight past. It is an express, doesn't stop at all stations.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/8 15:10
uji san
Do you think,MR A travel unlimited ride on Tobu railway by purchasing greater Tokyo pass?tobu isesaki line= 115 km,nikko line= 95 km,Tobu tojo hon:75 km,tobu noda line:62km
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/8 21:59
Thank you for all the answers so far. I got useful insights from all answers.

To be more precise,
- my intent is NOT to get on and get off unlimited times on the line.
- my question is particularly relevant to people who wish to go to Nikko using any Nikko pass and whose accommodation (for whatever reason) is located north from Asakusa station, such as Kitasenju (my particular case).
- I take good note of the Express not stopping at all stations, and notably not at Ushida.
- whilst I may change my mind, I intended to ride the normal train (not express) in the really early morning hence my point about Kita-Senju which happens to be closer to my Tokyo accommodation.
by Eaque Arcana rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/9 02:50
The pamphlet shows the stations you can get on and that includes Kita-Senju.

I see the stations on the map (incl. Shinagawa, Oshiage and Narita, from where the pass can certainly not be used), but I don't see any information about whether the pass allows you to get on there. Am I missing something?

My guess is that if you tried to enter the station with the pass at any station other than Asakusa, the alarm will go off, but I am not sure. I can't find anything officially mentioned except that the round trip part is for the section between ASAKUSA and Shimo-Imaichi.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/9 06:03
On https://www.tobu.co.jp/en/ticket/nikko/all.html, it is written
"Take the train from Asakusa Station or TOKYO SKYTREE Station. Be sure to take the correct train."
Which I understand as "you can only board the train at Asakusa or Tokyo Skytree".

You can send them an email if you want to be sure (2 options here: https://www.tobu.co.jp/en/service/tourist/)
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/9 08:46
In different terms, with the Nikko Pass, would I be able to board the Tobu-Isesaki line train using a different station still on the Tobu-Isesaki line, for instance Ushida or Kita-Senju slightly located more north than Asakusa ?

my question is particularly relevant to people who wish to go to Nikko using any Nikko pass and whose accommodation (for whatever reason) is located north from Asakusa station, such as Kitasenju (my particular case).

You can travel with
まるごと日光 東武フリーパス
[Marugoto Nikko Tobu Freepass]
from Kita-senju | Ushida Station for Nikko and back,
within four consecutive calendar days.

The price (of the adult pass) is
4810 yen during the season from April to November, and
4390 yen during the season from December to March.

- 東武鉄道 : まるごと日光 東武フリーパス
https://www.tobu.co.jp/odekake/ticket/nikko-kinugawa/marugoto-nikko.ht...

For your Nikko trips,
Tobu Railway offers two series of rail and bus passes.
: Marugoto Nikko | Kinugawa | Nikko - Kinugawa
Tobu Freepass (for all passengers)
: Nikko Pass All Area | World Heritage Area
(for foreign passengers)

Nikko Pass (the latter) limits your starting station
to Asakusa Station or Tokyo Skytree Station.

When you buy Marugoto Tobu Freepass (the former),
you specify your starting station,
which can be any Isesaki Line Station.

Apart from the eligibility, the rule about starting stations,
and the price of the child pass (, which is set lower for Nikko Pass),
Nikko Pass All Area
and Marugoto Nikko Tobu Freepass
are almost the same.

- Japan Guide: Nikko Pass
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html

(My memory tells me that the Japan Guide article,
in the past, had the explanation for Marugoto Tobu Freepasses.)
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko pass and starting station on Tobu line 2024/3/9 15:23
Omotenashi Sir
Can you please tell me(because uji san dont want to give answer).My parents will visit japan with tourist visa,can they get on,get off unlimited time entire line in tobu railway after purchase greater tokyo pass 5 day=7200yen
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread