Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 09:29
Anyone knows if 1 hr 40 min layover time in Haneda Airport is enough to change from international flight (from Singapore) to domestic (to Sapporo)? Same airline ANA. Do I have to retrieve luggage previously checked in (Singapore) and re-check in luggage at Haneda? Same questions but reversed order on return trip. On return trip, i will fly from Sappora to Haneda to catch international flight back to Singapore. Is 1 hr 40 min enough time? Do I have to retrieve luggage previously checked in at Sapporo and re-check in luggage at Haneda for the international flight? Thank you very much for your kindness in replying
by Earnest3  

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 17:25
Do you have a single booking from Singapore to Sapporo with a connexion at Haneda? (Tickets were bought together, and you only have 1 reservation number)
--> no need to collect your luggage in Haneda, and 1h40 is plenty of time to transfer. If you miss your connexion because the first plane was delayed, ANA should rebook you on a later flight (for free).

Do you have 2 separate bookings?
--> you need to collect your luggage in Haneda. 1h40 is a doable is your first flight is in time, but not much margin for error. No compensation if you miss your second flight because the first one was delayed.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 20:56
I'm not sure about @Mellye's information. I did a similar connection with JAL en route to Fukuoka on a single ticket and had to get my luggage, change terminals & check back in. I had 50 minutes & made it with some help from JAL staff. As long as your original flight is on time you should be able to make it either with or without collecting your luggage.
If ANA are offering the trip as a single ticket they should be confident it will work (I say should because Emirates sold me a flight from London to Tokyo with a connection in Dubai that was physically impossible even though the 1st flight landed early)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 21:13
@Stan
I actually heard that happen to other people as well (specifically, on a connecting flight in Paris CDG, they were fretting out in the immigration queue), but they knew it in advance. I thought that in the majority of cases the luggage is checked in until your final destination.

Was there a disclaimer on your ticket when you bought it, or did you only saw that after the booking was done? I would be interested in knowing, so that doesn't accidentally happen to me.

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 21:55
@Mellye No disclaimer on my ticket & bizarrely on the return trip through Haneda I didnt have to collect my luggage. I was told it was only an issue going from International to domestic & not the reverse.

Either way I would expect the OP to make the connection given the 1:40 they have :)

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/18 22:37
@OP
I was wrong, in Japan, all connecting flights from international to domestic require you to re-check the luggage :/ (at least with ANA and JAL)

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/guide/prepare/airport-guide/international/....

"Connecting within Terminal 2 (International to Domestic)

Collect any checked baggage at baggage claim and re-check your baggage at the domestic transit counter. Then go through the security check for domestic flights."

@Stan
Thanks for the heads-up!

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/19 02:40
1. Yes you must collect your bags since you must go through Customs, Immigration & Quarantine (CIQ) at your first port of entry. You'll then need to recheck your bags in for the domestic flight.

2. ANA on its website lists its minimum connection times (MCT).
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/local/domestic/prepare/checkin/trans...
It is listed at 80 minutes. On the return, the needed time is 55 min if only using Terminal 2 and 70 minutes if going through Terminal 3. You'll need to check your ticket.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/19 04:30
@Mellye Thanks for the confirmation.
I still say that the OP should be fine given the 1:40 they have although it may be worth making sure they know how to get to the monorail station as thats the quickest way between terminals. If ANA have sold a connecting ticket then the worst that can happen is that they will put you on a later connection.

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/19 05:19
Yes, 1h40 is plenty of time in Haneda (last time I arrived in Shimbashi just one hour after landing), but I would personally not take any risks with separate bookings ^^

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/19 22:22
Wow everyone, thank you very very much for pointing me in the right direction with all your input and even research into this. I am truly grateful and appreciative of your kindness. Sending u all my heartfelt words of gThank Youh with lots of gratitude and well wishes! 🥰
by Earnest3 rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/21 12:29

Is 1 hr 40 min enough time?

Sounds ample time. However, just received news from a friend that a very long queue when she arrived at the airport and she was out 90 mins later.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/21 13:44
Also, for ANA and JAL transfers (international to domestic), after you pick up your baggage and come out of arrivals, you can recheck your baggage in very quickly at the special domestic transfer counter at terminal 3 (as long as you have at least an hour until your flight)

Come out of the arrivals door and immediately turn right and walk until you see it. It's sign posted well.

This will save you lugging it around on the bus to your domestic terminal and also no need to queue at domestic terminal, just go straight through security to your gate.

I used this service about 3 weeks ago with no problems.
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 hr 40 min layover enough? Luggage? 2024/3/21 14:35
there should be enough time , make sure you fill up your visitjapan web details so it will make the process faster
by Chickenman905 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread