Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/19 04:39

would you recommend kitano market or kamignao market? which is better? easier to get to? it would be our first full day in kyoto. what things are nearby these markets please?
by Plambers  

Re: our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/23 10:51
I'm not sure about either of the markets you've listed but are you arriving in Kyoto by train?

Nishiki Market in Kyoto is fantastic and centrally located. Known as Kyoto's kitchen, we always make a stop there when in Kyoto.

Sorry I can't help with the ones mentioned but I hope this helps.
by Bonbon aus rate this post as useful

Re: our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/23 19:18
Two different markets: 
1, Flea Market Kitano Tenmangu Shrine is monthly event, on the 25th of each month.
2, You meant Kamigamo Handicraft Market? 
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/23 19:58
Indeed, the two markets have different natures, one being a flea market and one being a ghandicrafth market. I have never been to either of these markets, but if you read up on the type of items each will have (and look at reviews if you can find some), it might help you decide. Note that Nishiki Market is not like either of these markets (it is basically a covered shopping street with permanent vendors that operates 7 days a week, although some shops take a day off each week). These days, Nishiki Market is also extremely crowded at times. (I used to really enjoy it some years ago, but I donft go there anymore myself.) If you donft mind crowded places or maybe if you go soon after the shops open, it could still be fun. But I feel like the atmosphere has become less pleasant than it used to be. (Signs telling you not to take photos, unfriendly reception by some staff, long waits if you want to eat in a restaurant or in some cases even buy something.) It is one of the places in Kyoto that has lost a lot of its appeal due to overtourism, but many people do still find it worth a visit. Itfs easy to get to, at least.

Presumably you know that there are major shrines at both Kitano (Tenmangu) and Kamigamo? (The markets are actually just a minor aspect of these places.) I think that if you were to visit the shrine and market at either location it could easily kill half a day or more, with transit. Any time you have remaining in your day might better be spent on some other venue in Kyoto, especially if you have a list of gmust-seeh places. Of course, you could explore the area around either place. I donft have any particular recommendations myself (hopefully others will?) but sometimes just random strolling can be fun in Kyoto. I often use Google Maps to get ideas for shops (and bakeries!) or other places to visit in an area, although Google Maps is so driven by paid sponsors that it can be annoying at times.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/23 20:23
Neither of the two shrines are particularly easy to get to, but not too troublesome. I recommend taking a train or subway to the closest station and then catching a cab. (I almost never take buses in central Kyoto anymore. They can be quite dreadful.) Note that Kitano Tenmangu is fairly close to Kinkakuji, which is a gmust-seeh spot for a lot of tourists. There are a fair number of other popular temples in that general area as well. (A lot more than around Kamigamo Jinja.) I recommend taking cabs from point to point in that area, unless you are on an extremely limited budget and are prepared for some unpleasantness and a lot more time killed getting to places on buses (ewwc). Trains are okay, but they donft get you all the way to many of the popular spots in Kyoto. You can also walk to and between many of the venues, but the miles (kilometers) really add up, and the shortest routes are not very interesting in many cases.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: our first day in kyoto late may 2024/3/25 22:36
Thanks all. As it will be our first full day in Kyoto, and a Saturday, I don't think we will do either of these since they are not very central. We have a week in Kyoto and have a half day Uji and a full day Nara so that leaves us with 4.5 days Kyoto which I am sure we can fill up easily. I have the sites we want to visit mapped out but am ready to modify due to crowds.
Question about taxis-do you just flag them down llke in NYC or are the taxi stands?
by Plambers rate this post as useful

reply to this thread