Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/4 22:47
Ifm planning to visit Kyoto for 1 day. I want to visit as many shrines as I can.

If I rent a bicycle I was thinking I could visit more shrines. Where can you park the bicycle?
Ifm planning to visit the smaller shrines.

I was reading the rental website and it says I cannot leave the bicycle around on foot path or itfll be taken away.
Are you allowed to park in front of the shrines? I donft know if itfll be rude i bring the bike into the shrine ground.
I have seen on google map, there are paid car parking next to some shrines. Am I allowed to park the bicycles around there

Sorry for all the questions, I donft want to park the bicycle in the wrong spot and then lose the rental bicycle.
by Tina (guest)  

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/5 06:36
Locals will just park their bikes out front.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/5 07:49
Just park it where there are other bicycles or in a quiet spot. There is gbicycle parking policeh(at least there is in Tokyo) and they can sequester your bike which is a nightmare ( you need to pay a fee and go to a far away place to pick it up) but around a smaller shrines you are in a small neighborhood so itfs okay. Plus you are not going to stay very long. If you are afraid paring on the shrine grounds might be better option as I donft think that police would raid the private ground of a shrine. They are city employees.
And as long as you donft park right in front itfs fine. Regarding paid car parking theoretically you shouldnft park there. But yes, sometimes I do. Just park in a way that is clearly not going to obstruct at all and be on your way again quite soon.

For Kyoto I really liked these two shrines

Imamiya http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2023/12/d1-shrines-prepping-for...

Gardens of Jonangu
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2023/05/gw2023-d5-exploring-gar...

You say you want to visit as many shrines as possible. Well while I personally donft gtemple outh even for me as many shrines as possible doesnft sound like an enjoyable idea. Chose a few interesting ones and visit a few that youfll run in while moving from A to B
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/5 10:29
I just visited Nanzenji temple this morning, and I saw bicycle parking area just inside the gate, on the left side.
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/5 15:35
I donft know if itfll be rude i bring the bike into the shrine ground.

No, it won't be rude as long as you get off the bike and push it. In fact, I can't really think of a roof-less place where it's rude to get off your bike and push it.

Also keep in mind that bicycles and umbrellas are the two things that a great number of people in Japan don't seem to feel guilty about stealing. It's best to *walk* with them as much as possible.

On a relate note, I can't really agree that you can just park it where others illegally do. Illegal bike parking can annoy blind people and other pedestrians. Okay, I admit that I used to do it all the time, but now that I'm not in such a hurry any more, I gave up my bicycle altogether. Illegal park on your own risk, physically and mentally.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/5 18:24
Thank you very much for the advise! Ifll see what other bicycles do near the shrine and go from there. Hopefully I can park it inside the gate, thank you for the tip ITO.

LikeBike: thank you for the two links. I have a list of shrines Ifll like to visit but they are all far away from each other. So itfll be more meaningful:D

Uco: I was thinking maybe buying a 1 day bus pass might be easier than using the bicycle. I always wondered how people know which combini clear umbrella is theirs lol!
by Tina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/6 05:36
Buses are horrible I'm Kyoto. As slow as walking due to traffic, and so overcrowded that you have to stand mostly.

Subways are better.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/6 06:26
Thanks for the 2nd advise H!
Ifll have the trains as back up and see where the stops are.
by Tina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bicycle parking in Kyoto at shrines 2024/4/6 09:10
Depending on where the shrines (and temples???) you want to visit are, a bicycle is actually a very good mode of transportation in Kyoto. Faster than bus and you get right to where you want to be as there arenft that many subway lines / stations.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread