Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/6 07:32
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to finalise my plans for a trip next month but can't quite decide how to organise the itinerary based on locations. I'm entering and leaving through Tokyo but I'm planning to spend my Japan Rail Pass (7) days around Chubu with Matsumoto, Fujikawaguchiko, and Kiso Fukushima as my bases. However, I'm not quite sure what's the most convenient arrangement.

I'm sort of considering covering Nagoya for this trip as well just so there's "nice" loop from/back to Tokyo but I don't think 7 days is quite enough. If I were to add Nagoya, I'll probably skip Matsumoto, which I'm considering mainly for Kamikochi.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
by Psycho Punch  

Re: What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/6 16:37
1) donft buy a 7 day JRP. For what you are planning to there is no way it can pay off. Get single tickets. If you already bought it consider if you can return it it change your itinerary completely to at least break even

2) order: I would 2 days Tokyo, 1 day Kawaguchiko, 2 days Matsumoto with day trip to Kamikochi or add a day Eg in Hirayu onsen, 1 day Kiso Fukushima. I personally wouldnft go back to Tokyo through Nagoya, but if you do, consider a day at Oigawa or in Izu peninsula. Alternatively just go back from Fukushima to Tokyo through Kofu.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/6 20:52
Thanks for the heads up on the JRP. I crunched the numbers and it's way below the JPY50,000 cost of a 7-day pass! Luckily, I tend to order rail passes just before I leave, so I've not bought one yet.

Since I posted this, I changed the plans I tiny bit. I've now decided to stay in Nagoya and use it as my base for getting to and from Kiso valley. I realised there's not a lot of accommodation options in Kiso Fukushima so whilst that may be a more convenient location, I think Nagoya seems like the better choice.

In general, the order of bases I'm thinking is:
Tokyo -> Nagoya (to Kiso Valley) -> Matsumoto (to Kamikochi) -> Kawaguchiko (to Fuji Shibazakura) -> Tokyo

How does this sound?

by Psycho Punch rate this post as useful

Re: What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/7 03:58
If you can fit in half a day from Nagoya to Inuyama to see its nice castle and Meiji Mura, I highly recommend it. Meiji Mura is a fantastic open air museum.
https://youtu.be/ZgYDE7ujk8A
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/8 08:48
Thanks for the recommendation. Not sure if I have enough time in Nagoya to cover it, but will definitely consider.

Re: What order to move around Chubu? 2024/4/8 08:53
I think Meiji Mura will be especially interesting for me as I just finished watching the reboot of Rurouni Kenshin.

reply to this thread