Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Switch Work visa to spouse or student 2024/4/8 07:50
So, I am thinking about leaving my job, and in the area I live in, jobs are very, very hard to come by.
My wife suggested I switch to a Spousal Visa so I dont have to stress out about it, and I can take on different kinds of jobs.

But I was laid off, I'm curious if the Japanese Government will deny the request due to that.

So I was thinking about applying for a Student Visa, and going to a school to increase my abilities (listen, im not the type who can self study, i wish I was, but Im not), so I can find a better job (remote even) then switch to a Spousal Visa.

What do you people think about this plan?

Should I stay at my job then switch to a spousal visa, or can I quit then apply. OR can I apply then QUIT?
by JapanManDan (guest)  

Re: Switch Work visa to spouse or student 2024/4/8 12:56
Have you been laid off or planing to quit?

For the spouse visa the point is, do you have someone in Japan that can show that they have enough funds to support you in Japan. If part of that support comes from your salary but you quit/loose your job, then that income is gone. So essentially your wife needs to have a high enough income to show that the two of you can live off it.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Switch Work visa to spouse or student 2024/4/8 12:57
I'm sort of confused. You say both " I am thinking about leaving my job" and "I was laid off." So does that mean you currently have a job, and you were laid off from the last job you had before that one?

Either way, though, your current employment status, as well whether or not you were laid off from a previous job, won't in and of itself prevent you from getting a spousal visa. The whole point of a spousal visa is that it's a residence right that's not tied to employment.

However, there are some timing issues you might want to consider. Technically, if you are on a work visa and you quit your job, there is a certain amount of time you're given in which to look for new employment, but after that your visa becomes invalid. Since it will take time to process your spousal visa application, you might want to continue working until your spousal visa application is approved.

Also, spousal visa applications can be affected by total household income. So there is a possibility that if you apply for a spousal visa while you are not working, the evaluators may worry that your wife's income alone is not enough to support the both of you, which could make you application weaker. So from that angle as well, it might be in your best interest to continue working, and on a work visa, until your spousal visa application is approved.

Quitting your job and then applying for a spousal visa, or applying for a spousal visa then quitting your job before the spousal visa application is approved, both carry some risk of you ending up with no valid visa for a period of time.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread