Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Best parts 88 temple route to walk- 2/3 days? 2024/4/12 06:26
Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be returning to Japan (for our second trip next month). On our last trip, we went to Tokyo, the Kiso Valley, Matsumoto, Takayama, Okayama/Kurashiki, Naoshima Island, Kyoto and Osaka, and we rounded off the trip by hiking the Nakahechi route of the Kumano Kodo.

This time round, we're thinking of going to Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Onimichi cycling the Shimanami Kaido over to Shikoku, and then perhaps walking 2-3 days sections of the 88 temples route. I was wondering if there are particularly scenic/interesting sections?

We're quite keen on walking from place to place without having to get too much public transport in between-- so that would be ideal. We both really enjoyed the Nakahechi Trail. We could travel but I can't find loads of information about which areas are deemed to be most scenic. We're both relatively fit and in our 30s.

After Shikoku: we're hoping to end up back at Kyoto, Osaka, Nara before flying back to the UK from Nagoya.

Thanks in advance for advice, thoughts, reflections etc.!

Cheers,

Will
by wdb216 (guest)  

Re: Best parts 88 temple route to walk- 2/3 days? 2024/4/16 19:04
I have a book of the templs and the suggested route in the book for a 3 day (2 night) stay is to walk from temple 11 (Fujii-dera) to temple 17 (Idoji) with recommended stays at Kamiyama Onsen on the first night and Dainichiji Temple on the 2nd night.

I liked Cape Murodo in Kochi. You can enjoy the beauty of the coast and visit 3 temples (maybe more depending on your speed and if you use public transportation).

Temples around Kochi city, Imabari City, and Matsuyama City are easier to reach, so you could see more around these areas if you want to see as many as possible.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread