Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR Kansai Hiroshima Non-reserved Shinkansen 2024/4/13 02:11
Hello Japan Guide forum folks!

I am traveling for my second trip to Japan in May (after Golden Week). Like so many others, I have opted to not purchase the JR Pass instead choosing a regional pass for my travel needs. This trip, we are going with a bit less of a rigid schedule, which plays into my question here.

I have booked and paid for my JR Kansai Hiroshima pass online through JR West, and have booked some limited express trains that need reserved seats (Kyoto>Kinosakionsen and Kinosakionsen>Osaka). I am planning on going down from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima and back for a day trip, but would rather not have a set time to head to Hiroshima and back.

I would prefer to get non-reserved tickets on the Shinkansen with my pass and have them printed out when I am in Kyoto picking up my original pass. Is this possible? I cannot seem to find any way to do so while in my reservation screen on the JR West Online Train Reservation site, only specific seats on specific Shinkansen trains.

My other question is if I cannot get non-reserved tickets with my pass online ahead of time, how do I go about getting those non-reserved tickets at Shin-Osaka station? Do I need to go into the JR West Travel Center and wait in line? Or can I just use the regular ticket machines (probably the e5489 machines)?

Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide for me.
by MissVO  

Re: JR Kansai Hiroshima Non-reserved Shinkansen 2024/4/13 03:35
I would prefer to get non-reserved tickets on the Shinkansen with my pass and have them printed out when I am in Kyoto picking up my original pass. Is this possible?

If you use non-reserved seats, there is no need to print out anything. All you need to use non-reserved seats is your Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass. Only if you travel by reserved seating will you need to get seat reservation tickets.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai Hiroshima Non-reserved Shinkansen 2024/4/13 04:10
The JR passes are now magnetic tickets, and you can use them to pass through the turnstiles just like regular tickets.

I do not think you can get an "unreserved seat ticket" (as a memo, for example) because it would be a train ticket that you could potentially give to someone else.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread