Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/14 23:28
We will be arriving Tokyo (Haneda) late night on 29/11 (Staying near the airport that night). Leaving via Haneda late night of 7/12. Really hoping for daily gorgeous Momiji sessions. We will spend 2 days/1 night in Kamakura while the rest will be in Tokyo. To catch peak Momiji should we do the 1 night in Kamakura at the start or the end of our visit? I read that Kamakura being near the sea, the leaves turn color later.. Later than Tokyo?
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 08:25
It is completely impossible to forecast the timing of the autumn leaves now! In the usual year, the peak of the season is around early December. The timing of Tokyo and Kamakura is about the same. I recommend to remain flexible, view the koyo reports, and make a decision in seven months from now.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 08:31
Hi Uji!

I know it’s too early for a forecast. Just wanted to know between Tokyo & Kamakura, usually which is earlier… Now you say they are about the same time so it’s good. Actually I had booked the one night stay in Kamakura at both ends of my trip. Free cancellation up till few days before the trip so this gives me flexibility.
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 08:42
If anything, Kamakura is probably indeed a little later than Tokyo overall. But it can differ more between spots than between cities. Tokyo also has some extremely late spots.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 10:40
I live roughly half-way between Tokyo and Kamakura. Between them, there isn't a noticeable difference between the peak times for autumn leaves. The two towns are less than an hour apart by regular (i.e. non-Shinkansen/special express) trains, so they essentially have the same climate and seasonal weather patterns. It's also worth noting that autumn leaves don't have as narrow a peak color period as some flowers (for example sakura), so predicting when the peak is going to be within a 1-week span half a year in advance is pretty difficult, and probably not something you need to worry about. For what it's worth, though, peak momiji color is probably going to be closer to November 29 than December 7 in an average year.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 12:05
Thanks for your feedbacks! Then safe for me to be in Kamakura on 1-2 Dec. The rest will be in Tokyo. But will monitor nearer to the date 🙏

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 12:17
Also, in a worst-case scenario, if color/weather-wise you wanted to go back to Kamakura again on a day when you're staying in a hotel in Tokyo, that's easily doable. Kamakura actually doesn't have a lot of hotels/inns, and so most tourists are actually day trippers from Tokyo or Yokohama.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Momiji in Kamakura & Tokyo 2024/4/15 12:24
I’ve booked Sotetsu Fresa Inn Kamakura-Ofuna kasamaguchi, for a night each (1 Dec or 6 Dec). At a very reasonable rate. Giving myself flexibility to decide later when to go since it’s freely cancellable. My friend needs to take it slow so a one night stay where we have 2 full days and not rush is suitable for her. Also would like to see Hasedera Light-up.

reply to this thread