Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Travel to Noto Peninsula possible right now? 2024/4/16 12:24
Hi everyone, a friend and I will be traveling to Japan in early May and would like to visit the Noto Peninsula, but since this area was affected by the earthquake, we were wondering if this was possible. Maybe some attractions are closed, some roads are closed, or some cities/towns are not in the position to/do not want to receive tourists at all. We were planning to arrive at Noto Airport, go to Noto town, spend the night there, and then make our way down all the way to Nanao.

If anyone has info on whether this is possible or will be possible in May is greatly appreciated!
by John A (guest)  

Re: Travel to Noto Peninsula possible right now? 2024/4/16 14:46
As of now, the area around Wakura Onsen and the entire peninsula north of Wakura is still not ready for tourism. Most lodgings are either closed or used by evacuees. I understand that Wakura Onsen is nearing a point when some lodgings may reopen to regular tourists over the next few months.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Noto Peninsula possible right now? 2024/4/16 15:07
A friend of me cycled there from Kanazawa and back (she didnt sleep in Noto peninsula) and the pictures she sent did show still a lot of destruction, closed roads, closed shops. So no, I donft think it is good timing now. Maybe you can rent a car from Kanazawa and just see how far you can get, but it might be better to visit some other remote Japanese region. In that general area Sadogashima would come to mind (as an example)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Noto Peninsula possible right now? 2024/4/16 17:09
Interesting. Just saw pictures of the railway reopenning and a celebration happening.

Article suggested Noto was reoppenning for tourists. And was a promo to attract new tourists.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Noto Peninsula possible right now? 2024/4/16 18:03
When I was in Kanazawa last week there were still train disruptions and I have seen reports of the continuing temporary accommodations and evacuation shelters, but it is a lot less than a few months ago. As for visiting the area, if your planned accommodation is open and receiving visitors then that should be ok, but be aware the area is still recovering.
I did also note the Kanazawa Castle Park has damage (collapsed walls) and some off-limit areas in central Kanazawa. I imagine Noto area still significant damage as Kanazawa city is quite distant from the epicenter.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread