Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Travel between Kyoto and Tokyo 2024/4/18 22:36
This is our first trip to Japan. Ifm rethinking our itinerary. Herefs what I had planned originally:

Hiroshima - 1 night
Miyajima - 2 nights (one full day)
Himeji Castle on the way from Hiroshima to Kyoto
Kyoto - 3 nights
Kanazawa - 2 nights
Takayama - 2 nights (rent car/return in Kanazawa, drive Shirakawa-go White Road, maybe hike Kamikochi)
Tokyo - 4 nights

As I am starting to book hotels, it seems like all the places we are visiting are in bigger cities or large towns. I was thinking Kanazawa/Takayama were smaller than they are. I would like more of a balance between cities and maybe smaller quaint towns. Also Kanazawa seems to be similar to Kyoto but on a smaller scale. I would love to be immersed in nature for part of the trip. I know Miyajima will give us a bit of this and possibly exploring the area around Takayama, but Ifm wondering if I should cut out Kanazawa/Takayama and go to another area all together.

We are a group of 3 adults and 3 kids ages 14 and 17.

Right now, I think Ifm cutting Kanazawa and adding a night to both Kyoto (4 total) and maybe Takayama (3 total).

The main question is there a better base or area to explore than Takayama? Ifd like to stay in one place for 3 nights and be able to do a few short hikes, see scenery, maybe a waterfall? I also liked the idea of renting a car in Kanazawa to be able to drive the scenic White Road. I need to look more closely at a map, but thought someone more familiar with the area would have an obvious suggestion for an alternative.

And Ifm still open to ANY area for 3 nights between Kyoto and Tokyo.

Thanks!
by metcarl  

Re: Travel between Kyoto and Tokyo 2024/4/19 07:05
Does it really need to be between Kyoto and Tokyo?

Maybe have a look at Kurashiki/Okayama/Onomichi/Takamatsu (and the nearby islands). They are between Hiroshima and Kyoto.

Otherwise the Izu peninsula, that I haven't visited, looks nice (it seems more interesting with a car, and I have been avoiding that until now).
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Travel between Kyoto and Tokyo 2024/4/19 07:26
@Mellyefs suggestions are great. I would add a few more for you to choose:

1) Inner Nara prefecture (my go to recommendation, see below for details from a recent post I wrote on an other trail)

2) an island in the Seto inland sea Teshima,Naoshima, Shodoshimac)

3) depending on when you go , ie if it isnft too hot AND depending if you are all active people , 2 days or so to ride the Shimanami Kaido by bicycle could be a great experience

4) Karuizawa could make for a nice place. Small stylish city with a lot of nature around to explore. And if you like more sightseeing you can go to Bessho onsen , Ueda, Nagano

5) Chichibu an other small town and you can combine light hiking with visiting some of the 33 temple pilgrimage route

6) exploring North of Tokyo (Nikko, Aizuwakamatsu, Mitoc)

7) exploring Shiga prefecture. Eg you could stay in Omi Hachiman or Hikone and explore the area.

8) options are endlessc

Enjoy planning

Add #1

I am totally in love with Nara prefecture. And a few spots in Nara (Nigatsudo). Just came through Nara yesterday afternoon and itfs crazy. Around the Todaiji you could hardly walk for the number of tourists. Even the deer were so fed up that they ignored the crackers.
But be 2 walking minutes away and it is quiet.

Anyway, places I love in Nara prefecture are:
-Asuka area ( maybe not overly good for staying there unless you have a car/private transport). I think it is somewhat visitable by public transport but a car or a bicycle (e bike might be a good idea) is a great way to get around and see some more special temples and ancient burial grounds)
- Imaicho in Yamatoyagi (which is a place that makes for a good hub with direct trains to Osaka and Kyoto and many other locations.)
- Dorogawa onsen in the mountains (great for a ryokan stay and some mountain activities. I remember the indeed thrilling ride in a minuscule monorail to a cave. I donft remember the cave itself but that monorail was something else https://www.visitnara.jp/venues/A00886/
- Last weekend I went to Muro and Akame waterfalls which also makes for a nice trip. Muro would also make for a good place for a ryokan stay (if you have a car, although there are busses, but private transport would be convenient) while Akame was a very ugly small ryokan village.
- Tanzan jinja is nice but I think best combined with some hiking (or cycling). Itfs nice enough. But also not that outstanding to go out of your way for it. So if you can make the way part of the plan, itfs nice. Or if you have a car and are in Asuka area anyway. (There are busses from Sakurai though)
- Hibara shrine (and a small food stall right outside of it, if it still exists)
- Hasedera is also nice and already on your list
- Horyuji area is also nice.
- Chogosonshi ji is still on my gto do listh but looks like fun.
- Tenri is a strange place. Dominated by a HUGE temple complex and even bigger temple lodgings. I donft really know whatfs going on there. But it kind of seems the central of some strange sect with a lot of young followers. Curious.

In this trip I stayed in Sakurai, but used it mainly as a convenient hub. It was convenient for me but I think Yagi would be more convenient for the majority of tourists due to the better train connections.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Nara?m=1

Add #3

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-ridin...

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel between Kyoto and Tokyo 2024/4/19 09:20
Thanks for all the suggestions!

It doesn't have to be in between Kyoto and Tokyo physically, just on our itinerary so it needs to make sense from a logistical standpoint traveling between the two. I would like to pick a place in between going to Kyoto and Tokyo to break up visiting the two bigger cities.

I'm still contemplating the Takayama area, not necessarily for Takayama, but also Ainokura, Kamikochi, White Road, Gokayama, Shin-Hotaka ropeway (maybe closed?), squirrel park Risu-no-Mori. Not to do all of these things but choose a few.

My daughter and her friend are meeting up with their school group after our trip so I am trying to avoid overlapping too much of their trip. They are going to Nara (and Toyko, Mt Fuji, Nagoya, Kyoto, and Osaka), but I will look at some of the areas around Nara mentioned above. It may seem weird for us to go all around Nara but skip it though.

We are not skilled bikers. We could maybe rent bikes for a few hours but not for a longer trip. Honestly, it takes too long for my rear end to recover.

I'll keep sorting through the suggestions.
by metcarl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread