Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about my Japan itinerary 2011/5/23 01:35
Hi everyone!

I'll be travelling around Japan for two weeks in late July, and have a few questions regarding the trip. First, some general info:

I'll be going with a friend, and both of us are 21. We'll be staying in Japan for two weeks, and both of us will be using the 1-week JR rail pass. The first 4 days will be in Tokyo and the other 10 will be travelling around Japan.

1. Considering that we'll be travelling in July and it will be extremely hot and humid, are there any recommendations for places we should avoid or definitely go to? For example, I have read that Fuji-san is not visible from Hakone during the summer months so it shouldn't be a big part of the trip. Any others?

2. I will end my trip with 2 days in Kyushu, with the last day spent in Fukuoka, but the first day is still undecided. Where would you recommend I go/what should I do during that day? I've tentatively put Nagasaki down, but I've also heard Mt. Aso/Kurokawa Onsen or Beppu are good spots to hit as well. Please consider that I would like to go to places in Kyushu that are accessible via the JR pass.

3. My current plan is to be travelling around Kyushu on the last day of the JR pass eligibility, and take the last JR train from wherever I am in Kyushu to Fukuoka. Then, I can spend a full day in Fukuoka after the JR pass expires. Is this a feasible plan? What cities/locations in Kyushu have late-night JR trains to Fukuoka?

4. I am travelling to S. Korea from Fukuoka, and want to take the New Camellia overnight ferry. Does anyone know the days and times that this ferry leaves from Fukuoka? My current itinerary puts me in Fukuoka on Wednesday, Aug 3.

I've posted an itinerary for the trip below. Please leave love some comments/advice about activities to remove/change/add-in! The more advice the better!

July 22 (Fri) - Tokyo
1.Shinjuku – Ginza – Akihabara
2.Clubbing in Shinjuku

July 23 (Sat) - Tokyo
1.Shibuya - Roppongi Hills - Odaiba

July 24 (Sun) - Tokyo
1.Visit the Imperial Palace and East Gardens
2.Western Tokyo – Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku

July 25 (Mon) - Tokyo
1.Tsukiji Fish Market early morning
2.Northern Tokyo – Asakusa, Sensoji Temple, Rikugien (landscape garden)
3.Odaiba

July 26 - Nikko
specific things to do?

July 27 – Kamakura and Yokohama
1.Kamakura (morning)
-Kotokuin Temple
-Kaikozan Hase-dera - Hase Kannon Temple
-Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
2.Yokohama (afternoon)
-Yokohama Landmark Tower
-Yokohama China Town
-Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum

July 28 - Hakone
1.Follow Hakone Free Pass path (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html)
2.Spend the night in a Hakone Onsen ryokan

July 29 - Kyoto
-Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku
-Ryoan-ji Temple
-Kiyomizu-dera Temple complex
-Gion

July 30 - Kyoto
-Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
-Heian Jingu Shine
-Philosopherfs Walk
Ginkakuji Temple (Silver Pavilion)
Honen-in Temple
Anrakuji Temple
Otoyo-jinja Shrine
Nyakuoji Jinja Shrine
Eikan-do Zenrin-ji Temple
Nanzenji Temple

July 31 - Nara
-Nara Park
-Tōdai-ji (“Œ‘厛
-Nigatsu-dō & Sangatsu-dō “ñŒŽ“°EŽOŒŽ“°
-Kōfuku-ji (‹»•ŸŽ›)
-Sarusawa Pond (‰Ž‘ò‚Ì’r
-Nara National Museum (“ޗǍ‘—§”Ž•šŠÙ),
-Himuro Shrine (•XŽº_ŽÐ)
-Ukimidō (•‚Œ©“°)
-Kasuga Taisha (t“ú‘åŽÐ)
-Kasuga-yama Hill Primeval Forest (t“úŽRŒŽ¶—Ñ)
-Isui-en Garden (ˆË…‰€)
-Shin-Yakushi-ji (V–òŽtŽ›)

Aug 1 - Hiroshima
-Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome
-Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park.
-Shukkeien Garden, Hiroshima Castle.

Aug 2 – Nagasaki
things to do in Nagasaki?
1.Mt. Inasa (view of Nagasaki, 3rd best view in Japan) (9PM)

Aug 3
things to do in Fukuoka?
-Take the overnight New Camellia ferry to Busan, South Korea (night) (http://www.koreaferry.co.kr/)
by Gene (guest)  

...[ 2011/5/23 07:07
Considering that we'll be travelling in July and it will be extremely hot and humid, are there any recommendations for places we should avoid or definitely go to?

I can't think of any. I personally would be more concerned with the summer holiday crowd and avoid places popular among school kids, such as popular theme parks and aquariums.

I will end my trip with 2 days in Kyushu, with the last day spent in Fukuoka, but the first day is still undecided. Where would you recommend I go/what should I do during that day?

I recommend to select based on your personal interest. But a day is not a lot. YOu can't get too far:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1108.html

My current plan is to be travelling around Kyushu on the last day of the JR pass eligibility, and take the last JR train from wherever I am in Kyushu to Fukuoka. Then, I can spend a full day in Fukuoka after the JR pass expires. Is this a feasible plan?

Yes, it is.

What cities/locations in Kyushu have late-night JR trains to Fukuoka?

All of northern Kyushu (north of Oita and Kumamoto) and all cities along the Kyushu Shinkansen. But most train arrive in Fukuoka by midnight.

I am travelling to S. Korea from Fukuoka, and want to take the New Camellia overnight ferry. Does anyone know the days and times that this ferry leaves from Fukuoka?

The ferry seems to be running most of the days or everyday in August, but the exact schedule for August has not been published yet. Departure from Fukuoka is 12:30. Arrival at 18:00. Only in the opposite direction does the ferry travel overnight:
http://www.camellia-line.co.jp/cgi-bin/calendar/index.pl
by Uji rate this post as useful

Itinerary 2011/5/24 18:48
Hi Gene,

Let me help you with some, I'll just mention the one that I know.

July 22 (Fri) - Tokyo
1.Shinjuku – Ginza – Akihabara
2.Clubbing in Shinjuku
Why don't you make Shinjuku the last stop since you will be spending the evening there?

July 25 (Mon) - Tokyo
3.Odaiba
Nothing much to do in Odaiba if you are considering to visit the second time.

July 26 - Nikko
specific things to do?
You gotta buy the pass which valid for 2 days( no choice) and travel around Nikko,
Kegon Falls is NICE !! its way uphill, the bus ride alone took abt more than 30mins.
There'a a hotel there by the Lake Chuzenji, you can soak in their natural hot spring, it costs 1000yen if im not wrong. This is a must go if you visit Nikko.

July 29 - Kyoto
-Ryoan-ji Temple
-Gion
I think the sequence is fine, you might also want to consider Arashiyama too. buy ticket to catch the Geisha show, its very traditional.its ard USD45.

Aug 1 - Hiroshima
-Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome
-Shukkeien Garden, Hiroshima Castle.
Hiroshima is a must go place is you are visiting Japan. Can use the JR to take ferry to Miyajima too if you want. We booked to tour the Mazda factory at 10am, they have all the collections of cars ( awesome)

Rest that i didnt mention means that Ive never been there. I only been to Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto area.

Thanks

by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks, and some additional questions... 2011/5/25 05:49
Thanks for your input, Uji and V!

1. Uji, you said in your post that the New Camellia ferry DOES NOT run overnight from Fukuoka to Busan. Are you absolutely sure? If so, I'd want to take the latest possible ferry from Fukuoka to Busan. Do you know which one this is? Sorry but all of the ferry websites are very difficult to read without knowing Japanese or Korean...

2. I've read on some other threads that if you have a limited schedule and have been to Hiroshima, then going to Nagasaki may not really be worth your while. I'm now considering whether or not to cut the Nagasaki day and insert an Osaka daytrip between Nara and Hiroshima. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I honestly don't know too many interesting things to do in either of these cities and would like a comparison if anyone can provide one!

3. I currently don't have a good idea of what I want to do on July 23rd. The itinerary says Shibuya-Roppongi Hills-Odaiba, but I'm already planning on visiting shibuya and odaiba on other days and I don't know what there is to do in roppongi hills other than expensive shopping which I'm not interested in. Can anyone recommend a different itinerary for me to take on my 4th day in tokyo, considering the other 3 days I've already planned?

4. I am planning on staying at a ryokan in Hakone on July 28th, but am worried about my budget. Does anyone know the typical price of a ryokan in Hakone? I don't want to go over $60/night, $80/night at the very highest. Really I just want to spend one night at a onsen ryokan, and the location in Japan doesn't particularly matter as long as it's an enjoyable experience and affordable. Are there any locations in Japan along my travel route that have onsen ryokans with prices that fall within my budget range?

5. the friend whom I will be travelling with is a very big nature/landscape buff, which is largely the reason why I put Hakone in the itinerary. Will Hakone be an enjoyable experience in late July if we follow the Hakone Free Pass route?

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice!
by Gene (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/25 06:18
You could go around the various gardens in Tokyo on the 23rd. There's quite a lot.
by Hmm (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/25 08:32
Uji, you said in your post that the New Camellia ferry DOES NOT run overnight from Fukuoka to Busan. Are you absolutely sure?

The official website states that the ferry leaves Fukuoka at 12:30 and arrives in Busan at 18:00.

If so, I'd want to take the latest possible ferry from Fukuoka to Busan. Do you know which one this is?

I think the only other company is JR Kyushu Beetle:
http://www.jrbeetle.co.jp/english/index.html

But there are additional connections from relatively nearby Shimonoseki to Busan. Those ones seem to be overnight, leaving Shimonoseki at 19:00 and arriving in Busan at 8:00 in the following morning:
http://www.kampuferry.co.jp/

I've read on some other threads that if you have a limited schedule and have been to Hiroshima, then going to Nagasaki may not really be worth your while.

That only applies to people who associate Nagasaki with nothing else but the atomic bomb. Because the bomb museum in Nagasaki is not as good as the one in Hiroshima. But apart from the bomb, Nagasaki has a very unique, very interesting history. It is a very unique city in Japan. It feels different than any other city. I consider it without doubt the more interesting city than Hiroshima (if you subtract the a-bomb factor). However, if you are not very interested in Japanese history, not all of Nagasaki's attractions can be fully appreciated:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2162.html

So, I think it really comes down to what you are interested in.

I'm now considering whether or not to cut the Nagasaki day and insert an Osaka daytrip between Nara and Hiroshima. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I honestly don't know too many interesting things to do in either of these cities and would like a comparison if anyone can provide one!

Then what are you interested in? I recommend to drop cities that don't look appealing to you and select ones that look interesting.

Does anyone know the typical price of a ryokan in Hakone?

A typical ryokan costs around 15,000 yen per person and night including dinner and breakfast, but there are also cheaper options:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2029.html

At $60 to $80 (5000-6000 yen) per person it will be very difficult to stay in a typical ryokan. It probably would have to be some type of low-cost place without meals. Here is one possibility:
http://www.japanhotel.net/kappa/

the friend whom I will be travelling with is a very big nature/landscape buff, which is largely the reason why I put Hakone in the itinerary.

I hope he/she is not too much into the wild type of nature, because Hakone is rather "human controlled". But July is a good time to visit. The forests are lush and the landscape looks beautiful. The chances to see Mount Fuji are rather low, though as visibility tends to be bad. In higher elevations of Hakone it will also be a little bit less hot and humid than in Tokyo.

... 2011/5/25 08:33
Will Hakone be an enjoyable experience in late July if we follow the Hakone Free Pass route?

Yes, it certainly has the potential. Whether that materializes depends mostly on your personal expectations and attitude.

more questions... 2011/5/25 14:30
Thanks for all your help Uji!

1. Do you know if any ryokans that do not include onsens but still serve dinner and breakfast might fall into my budget? I've read of some low-grade ryokans in Kyoto that don't have onsens but serve dinner/breakfast and are around $90/night, which I can stretch to if need be. Is the quality of these budget ryokan substantially worse than mid-grade ones?

2. A friend of mine from Japan recently told me that onsens in the summer aren't nearly as enjoyable as in the winter due to the sweltering heat and humidity. Would you agree?

3. The overnight ferry to Busan seems to be the cheapest way of getting to S. Korea from Japan, so I think I will be modifying my itinerary to take an evening train from fukuoka on the last day in Japan to Shimonoseki where I'll catch the overnight ferry. Does this sound feasible?

4. Still looking for ideas about what to do on my fourth day in Tokyo. The itinerary says Shibuya-Roppongi Hills-Odaiba, but I'm already planning on visiting shibuya and odaiba on other days and I don't know what there is to do in roppongi hills other than expensive shopping which I'm not interested in. Can anyone recommend a different itinerary for me to take on my 4th day in tokyo, considering the other 3 days I've already planned?

Thanks again!

... 2011/5/25 15:40
Do you know if any ryokans that do not include onsens but still serve dinner and breakfast might fall into my budget?

I believe that the before mentioned Kappa Tengoku also serves cheap meals. And they also have onsen.

Also, some larger ryokan sometimes have discount deals below 10,000 yen per person that include 2 meals, however, late July falls into the summer holidays and many of the discount plans might not be available.

This website (at least the Japanese version of it) often has good deals:
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

Is the quality of these budget ryokan substantially worse than mid-grade ones?

It is difficult to generalize. There are better and worse ones both among budget places and mid-grade places. I personally really enjoyed the first ryokan experience in my life because all the tatami, yukata, bath and food were new to me. It all seemed great and elegant to me. Only later did I find out that it was a small, cheap budget ryokan. But these days, after staying at hundreds of ryokan across Japan, I am afraid I have to say that price and food/room/service level often behave proportionally to each other.

A friend of mine from Japan recently told me that onsens in the summer aren't nearly as enjoyable as in the winter due to the sweltering heat and humidity. Would you agree?

I am afraid, but I have to agree. But it is not as bad as it sounds, especially on a not so hot day in the higher elevations of Hakone.

I think I will be modifying my itinerary to take an evening train from fukuoka on the last day in Japan to Shimonoseki where I'll catch the overnight ferry. Does this sound feasible?

Note that evening train might not be early enough. Although the departure is at 19:00, I think you have to be at the pier considerably earlier than that. Make sure you know the details beforehand.

. 2011/5/25 15:49
If there's nothing else in particular you want to see, you may want to consider leaving the 4th day blank. Then you'd have the flexibility to return to places you've been, check out things suggested to you by people you chat with and in case you run out of time another day. We did that last trip and did everything we wanted to.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Last few questions... i think 2011/5/25 22:50
Thanks Uji and Sal! I think I have just two more questions, and then I want to post my revised itinerary and see what ya'll think.

1. I have been having a lot of trouble finding good timetables for JR trains, and I am especially worried about getting from Fukuoka to Shimonoseki in time for the overnight Kampu ferry at 6PM (probably need to be in Shimonoseki by 4PM to make it). Does anyone know where I can find these timetables, or just generally knows when the direct JR train from Fukuoka to shimonoseki runs? If there is no direct route around 4PM I may end up staying overnight in Fukuoka and catching the beetle ferry from Fukuoka.

2. I plan to visit Nikko right after my stay in Tokyo, and would like to see the sites in Tosho Nikko as well as travel to Lake Chuzenji to see Kegon Falls. Is this trip possible in one day? Also, My friend has noted that the world heritage pass does not cover transportation to Chuzenji, so would it be more appropriate to get the All-Nikko pass instead? We may end up staying in Nikko overnight as well so whichever pass gives us discounts on housing may also be worthwhile. Please advise!

Thank you all so much, and I hope to post a new itinerary very soon!

... 2011/5/26 08:53
I have been having a lot of trouble finding good timetables for JR trains, and I am especially worried about getting from Fukuoka to Shimonoseki in time for the overnight Kampu ferry at 6PM (probably need to be in Shimonoseki by 4PM to make it).

The ferry leaves at 7PM. Boarding starts from 6PM. Ticket formalities can be done until 5:30PM. So, I would try to be there by 5PM at the latest. A 4PM arrival at Shimonoseki Station is probably a safe idea.

As for train timetables, Hyperdia has the timetables. Make sure to enter "Hakata" for Fukuoka's main station:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

would like to see the sites in Tosho Nikko as well as travel to Lake Chuzenji to see Kegon Falls. Is this trip possible in one day?

If you travel at a quick pace and start early in the morning, it is possible. It also depends on how many sights around Nikko and Lake Chuzenji you want to see.

Also, My friend has noted that the world heritage pass does not cover transportation to Chuzenji, so would it be more appropriate to get the All-Nikko pass instead?

Yes.

final itinerary... 2011/5/26 15:32
Here it is! Again, any and all suggestions/comments are very much appreciated! It could always be better...

July 22 (Fri) - Tokyo
1.Ginza – Akihabara - Shinjuku
2.Clubbing in Shinjuku

July 23 (Sat) - Tokyo
1.Unsure, open for suggestions

July 24 (Sun) - Tokyo
1.Visit the Imperial Palace and East Gardens
2.Western Tokyo – Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku

July 25 (Mon) - Tokyo
3.Odaiba

July 26 – Nikko, using the All Nikko Pass
1.Tobu Nikko
2.Lake Chuzenji
3.Kegon Falls
4.Return to Tokyo

July 27 – Kamakura and Yokohama
1.Kamakura (morning)
-Kotokuin Temple
-Kaikozan Hase-dera - Hase Kannon Temple
-Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
2.Yokohama (afternoon)
-Yokohama Landmark Tower
-Yokohama China Town
-Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum

July 28 - Hakone
1.Follow Hakone Free Pass path (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html)
2.Travel to Kyoto

July 29 - Kyoto
-Ryoan-ji Temple
-Gion

July 30 - Kyoto
-Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
-Heian Jingu Shine
-Philosopherfs Walk

July 31 - Nara
1. Nara Park
2. Return to Kyoto, spend the night

Aug 1 – Osaka
1.Spend the night in Osaka

Aug 2 – Hiroshima
1.Spend the day in Hiroshima
(http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/08/getting-around-hiroshima-and-m...)
-Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome,
-Shukkeien Garden
-Hiroshima Castle.
2.Travel to Fukuoka, spend the night

Aug 3
1.Spend the day in Fukuoka

Aug 4
1.Take JR Beetle 2 ferry to Busan

Two last questions... 2011/5/27 01:12
Sorry, but when looking at my itinerary again two things came to mind.

1. When do the earliest and latest shinkansens available on the JR pass run?

2. When travelling around Japan, if I plan to visit a location on the next day of the trip do you think it would be more reasonable to travel to that location the night before and spend the night there, or spend the night in my current location and travel to the next destination in the morning? This question ties into the first one because most of the destinations in my itinerary are along the shinkansen route.

... 2011/5/27 08:41
When do the earliest and latest shinkansens available on the JR pass run?

Shinkansen run from 6:00 to midnight:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

When travelling around Japan, if I plan to visit a location on the next day of the trip do you think it would be more reasonable to travel to that location the night before and spend the night there, or spend the night in my current location and travel to the next destination in the morning?

It depends on the specific situation and personal preference.

reply to this thread