Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

SCMaglev and Railway Park, Nagoya 2011/5/24 17:23
Has anyone been to this new railway museum that has just opened up near Nagoya? I am taking my 10 year old son to Japan for his first visit in July and we are both huge train fans. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been there. Thank you. Aussie Dave.
by djmid  

... 2011/5/24 18:27
Yes, I was there. If you are a train fan, you are certain to enjoy it, especially if you have a knowledge about Japanese trains and the Tokaido Shinkansen. Any specific question?
by Uji rate this post as useful

More questions 2011/5/24 19:00
I have some questions. Is the Aonami Line covered by JR pass? Seems to be a private line to me even though it is running on JRF tracks.
Another is which trains can we enter and view the interior. Am interested to view the Class 0 Bullet trains and the 300x as I have never seen one myself. How does this compare to say the transportation museum in Osaka and the JR East Museum in Omiya.

Planning to visit this in early july on a day trip to Nagoya.
by YK (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/24 19:41
Is the Aonami Line covered by JR pass?

No.

Another is which trains can we enter and view the interior. Am interested to view the Class 0 Bullet trains and the 300x as I have never seen one myself.

If my memory is good, all of these can be entered.

How does this compare to say the transportation museum in Osaka and the JR East Museum in Omiya.

The Omiya museum is larger and - in my opinion - somewhat better. But I have not been to the Osaka transportation museum.

... 2011/5/24 21:10
Thanks very much for the insight. Can't wait to visit this and the Omiya Museum.
by YK (guest) rate this post as useful

SCMaglev and Railway Park, Nagoya 2011/5/25 08:02
@Uji
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know how does the reservation system for the simulators work?
The train to get there appears to leave the Nagoya station every 15 minutes. Is that correct?
I see you recommend the Omiya museum in Tokyo. Are there others worth seeing?
We also want to go to 'Miraikan' Science Museum at Odaiba which should be open again by July
We plan to use the JR rail pass for overseas visitors to travel between Tokyo and Hiroshima.
Are there any stations better than others for train spotting in Tokyo and along the Tokaido line?
Finally, is it possible to find out where and when the Dr Yellow maintenance train will be running on the Sanyo/Tokaido line?
Your assistance with any of these questions would be appreciated.
Thank you David
by djmid rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/25 09:01
Do you know how does the reservation system for the simulators work?

I did not bother looking up the details because I did not have enough time. But at least the most popular N700 simulator was based on a lottery system. The N700 simulator is extremely well done. They also have a great looking shasho simulator just like the ones in the JR training centers. I doubt that it is easy to get access to that one, either. Sorry I cannot give you more details.

The train to get there appears to leave the Nagoya station every 15 minutes. Is that correct?

Yes.

I see you recommend the Omiya museum in Tokyo. Are there others worth seeing?

These two are by far the best I have been to.

We also want to go to 'Miraikan' Science Museum at Odaiba which should be open again by July

It reopens on June 11.

Are there any stations better than others for train spotting in Tokyo and along the Tokaido line?

Certainly. But I don't know the details.

Finally, is it possible to find out where and when the Dr Yellow maintenance train will be running on the Sanyo/Tokaido line?

Sorry, I don't know. You might get better answers here:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/jtrains/

... 2011/5/25 10:04
@Uji
Thank you very much for taking the time to help us. It is very much appreciated.
by djmid rate this post as useful

reply to this thread