Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

first-time in Japan advice 2011/5/27 01:42
Hello everyone,
I'm from the Philippines and it's my first time going out of the country and my first time going to Tokyo,Japan and I would be there for just five days. My questions are:

1. Are most restaurants ok? My only problem about it is that I'm not very fluent in Japanese and can't speak any yet.

My interests involves: anime, history, old and modern art, dining out

by Gabse  

. 2011/5/27 15:32
If you stick to restaurants that have pictures/replicas of the food or English menu you'll be fine. Just point at whatever you'd like. A little bit of Japanese doesn't go astray, but it's not essential.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2040.html
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

no problem 2011/5/28 08:50

as Sal1980 says, all you have to do is point at the plastic sample of choice in front of most restaurants. Chain "izakayas" (restaurant-pubs) will usually have a picture menu. Even if not, the restaurant staff are usually very helpful in trying to understand what you want - for best results speak English very slowly and clearly, use simple words, (and smile! it's important)

Not sure what you mean by whether most restaurants will be OK...but rest assured, hygiene standards are amongst the highest in the world, even in the smaller restaurants. And the chances of a tourist getting ripped off in a restaurant is virtually zero - but the restaurant may be expensive anyway (and some pubs have a flat-rate table charge) so check the menu first!
by Tico (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/29 08:18
Hi Gabse,
I hope you enjoy your first trip out of the Phillipines.
You will find a different mindset (culture) as a tourist in Japan compared to being a tourist in other Asian countries.
Tipping is rarely done and as they will not be expecting it.
There is rarely any haggling as prices are fixed (except maybe in street markets).
Prices for things in corner convenience stores (Seven Eleven) are cheaper than my home country of Australia.
There is rarely any theft. I left my iphone on a train platform and went back 30 min later and it was still there with people walking past it.
There are plenty of small food shops around railway stations and you don't really have to worry about the quality of the food because that vis where the locals eat. No "bali belly".
There are plenty of good value hotels with small rooms around railway stations called "business hotels" that give you the basics you need. If you want 5 star then, just like any country, you pay for it.
Enjoy. Aussie Dave
by djmid rate this post as useful

Getting Around 2011/5/29 11:38
Not really to do with your question but since it's your first time... Some advice I wish I had been told the first time I went to Tokyo. Get yourself a Passmo or Suica card for the subway it will make your life easier.

Also I found most people in restaurants can speak English and are quite used to dealing with foreign customers. Also they usually have an English menu.

Good luck and I hope you have fun!
by KyotoLove10 rate this post as useful

Hi 2011/5/29 15:39
Hi, I actually just came back from Japan as I really didn't know the language. I also had the same concern of not being able to order in restaurants, here's my post on it: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+82143
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread