Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

unreserved train seats 2011/5/30 04:46
In late July and early August, I'm going to be traveling by train (but not with a JR rail pass) between Kyoto and Kiso Valley, Kiso Vally and Matsumoto, Kanazawa and Osaka, and finally Osaka and Mt. Koya. I thought to save a bit of money by not getting reserved seats, but I don't understand what happens if the unreserved cars are full. Do they allow people to stand? Sit in the reserved cars? Basically: do you have to leave the train if there are no more seats?
by michelle415  

... 2011/5/30 10:03
but I don't understand what happens if the unreserved cars are full. Do they allow people to stand?

Yes, people stand.

Sit in the reserved cars?

That is not allowed unless you pay the supplement.

Basically: do you have to leave the train if there are no more seats?

No.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/5/30 21:05
On the first three journeys the reserved seat is only 490 Yen if only using one train on each journey where reserved seating is available.

The reserved seat from Osaka (Namba) to Koyasan is the only option, there are no unreserved seats and there is not a standing option:

http://www.nankaikoya.jp/en/iku/01.html
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/5/31 11:55
Thanks
by michelle415 rate this post as useful

unreserved train seat 2011/5/31 17:17
If the unreserved carriages are full can you sit in a vacant reserved seat and pay the difference to the conductor on the train? Thank you David.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread