Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Okayama to Sapporo, some questions 2011/6/1 19:57
Hello everybody.

This summer I will have to move from Okayama to Sapporo. I also want to travel for about a week in Hokkaido, and I mean to move around the island, therefore I need some rail pass for Hokkaido.

I found two solutions:

Solution 1. From Okayama to Kobe Airport by train and flight to Sapporo with Skymark Airline or some low cost carrier ( about 15.000 yen, or 10.000 if I am lucky with the price). And then a flexible 4 days Hokkaido JR pass (19.000 yen). In total I would spend about 35.000 ~ 40.000 yen.

Solution 2. From Okayama to Sapporo just taking Shinkansens and limited expresses ( I would have then to change train in Shin Osaka, Tokyo and Shin Aomori, and it is going to last about 21 hours).
With the global Japan Rail Pass I'm going to pay 28.000 yen ( so I include in it also the trips I am going to do in Hokkaido)

However my major worry is that Tohoku Shinkansen tracks pass through Fukushima prefecture. Checking on a map, it seems that they don't pass close to the area evacuated after the nuclear disaster, but I am quite worried anyway.

So, my first question is: Is it dangerous to pass with Shinkansen through Tohoku?

And my second question is: which solution would you chose? (consider also that I am eager to endure some difficulties like long train trip and station changes if it makes me save up money, as my budget is not so copious).

I hope you could understand my problem. I am waiting for your opinion.

Thank you!
by Davidejp  

... 2011/6/2 14:07
I am not sure looking at your profile, but are you currently living in Japan? What is your Visa? Do you know that you can only get the national JR Pass with a tourist visa?

If you are on a tourist visa I would probably get the 7-day national JR pass and go Okayama to Hakodate. According to www.hyperdia.com if you left at 6:03am today you would be in Hakodate by 5:01pm, certainly a lot quicker than your 21 hours! I realise Hyperdia may not be accurate but it should only be an hour or two slower due to the earthquake I think.

I'd make Hakodate my first stop in Hokkaido to try and break up the journey a bit. Then tour Hokkaido including Sapporo from there.

If you aren't on a tourist visa then flying will probably be cheaper and obviously quicker.

Enjoy your trip!

by GC3 rate this post as useful

RE: your questions 2011/6/2 19:48
For details on who can hold a JRP, see this page.
-- Japan Rail Pass: Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS?
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en002.html

it seems that they don't pass close to the area evacuated after the nuclear disaster, but I am quite worried anyway.
Is it dangerous to pass with Shinkansen through Tohoku?

No, definitely not, as long as radioactivity is concerned.
Itfs more and more likely that a typhoon coming to Japan will make flights cancelled and/or Shinkansen suspended.

Please note that gFukushimah does not mean the atomic power plant. Except for its vicinity, radiation level is not notably high for a human being to stay for a few hours. I understand that evacuation is ordered or recommended to avoid a problem which might be caused by his/her staying for a long time in total.

And, I think this has been a common basic policy of Shinkansen operations since the oldest line was opened in 1964: trains should be stopped or slowed down when a serious risk is considered.

From Okayama to Sapporo just taking Shinkansens and limited expresses ( I would have then to change train in Shin Osaka, Tokyo and Shin Aomori, and it is going to last about 21 hours).

I suppose you will have to change trains once between Shin-Aomori and Sapporo, for example in Hakodate.
If you can start early in the morning, you may have a chance to take a direct Hikari train from Okayama to Tokyo.
In Tokyo Station, please get out of JR Central and get into JR East, each through a ticket gate. They are located near, but I advise you to estimate at least 15 minutes.

From Okayama to Kobe Airport by train and flight to Sapporo

There will be one ANA direct flight a day from Okayama Airport to New Chitose Airport.

When in this summer will you travel to Hokkaido?
Prices at an early-reservation rate differ depending on dates.
I suppose in many cases, flight charge discounts and air passes have a gblackout periodh during which they donft apply.

-- Discount Air Tickets
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
-- Okayama Airport: Guide to facilities
http://www.okayama-airport.org/en/facility/

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Thank you. I decided 2011/7/11 03:00
Thank you for your answers.

And I am also sorry for being late with my answer.

Eventually I decided to go by air (with a ticket of Skymark Airline). I preferred it because I have been traveling for a long time, and I want me to have a more short and comfortable trip.

Thank you very much for the infos!
by Davidejp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread