Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo transportation 2011/6/2 20:34
I have a question about transportation in and around tokyo:

- If i have a JR pass, is that enought to get around in tokio or do i need an additional subway pass?

- If i don't have a JR pass, is a Tokunai Pass enough?

- Can you visit Kamukara with a JR pass ?

- Can you visit Kamukara with a Tokunai Pass ?

Thx!
by Maria (guest)  

... 2011/6/3 12:55
If i have a JR pass, is that enought to get around in tokio or do i need an additional subway pass?

In general the JR pass is fine. Obviously, don't get a JR pass just for Tokyo! But if you are there with active days on your pass spare then it gets you to most of the normal tourist spots, eg. Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Ueno, Akihabara, Tokyo station, etc. There are a few places that it does not give you easy access to like Asakusa, but that is only a short/cheap subway ride away from a nearby JR station.

Obviously the above holds true if your hotel is near a JR station, if you are not near a JR station then you may wish to consider other passes, or just pay as you go possibly with something like a Suica card.

- If i don't have a JR pass, is a Tokunai Pass enough?

Yes, although depending on how much you move around individual tickets may be cheaper.

- Can you visit Kamukara with a JR pass ?
Yes as detailed here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3115.html

- Can you visit Kamukara with a Tokunai Pass ?

I would assume no as Kamakura is not within central Tokyo, although you may wish to wait for confirmation from someone else.

If you don't have a JR Pass then you could cosider Odakyu's Enoshima Kamakura Free Pass (1490 yen) as detailed on the above link which also gives you access to the trains in Kamakura.

Feel free to post the rest of your itinerary if you want assistance on whether a JR pass is worthwhile or not.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2011/6/3 13:15
I just checked the JR East webpage which gives the coverage zone:-
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokunai_pass.html

And Kamakura would be outside that zone, so you can't use Tokunai to get to Kamakura.

Hope this helps!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

tokio 2011/6/3 19:08
by bs4 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread