Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Int Airport to Kyoto Station 2011/6/29 01:21
Hi,

I'll be heading over to Kyoto in August and will be staying in a hotel around Kyoto Station for a couple of days. I'd like to know what's the cheapest way possible to get to Kyoto Station from Kansai Airport.

Should I get a JR West Pass? I heard that one can travel to Kyoto Station for around 500-600 Yen. However, I do not know which line I should take. Can anybody give me some advice?

Thank You.
by Ghiblistic  

... 2011/6/29 13:04
It is all covered on the Japan-guide page:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html?aFROM=2033_2158

Personally, I'd pay the 2000yen for the JR West pass and then catch the Haruka Express train direct to Kyoto Station.

Don't think you can do it for 500yen, the cheapest seems to be the 1200yen Kanku Access Ticket.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/29 13:21
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html
Scroll down for options to get to Osaka. You'd probably head to Namba, and from there head to whichever station needed to catch the train you choose in order to get to Kyoto. If you're getting a JR pass, make sure you're doing side trips or it won't be worth it, eg Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, etc. Other pass options are listed too.

We've previously caught a bus to Namba --- subway to Shin-Osaka --- shinkansen to Kyoto. And train to Tennoji --- subway to Nagahoribashi station. We hadn't activated our JR passes yet for either journey.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

sorry GC3! 2011/6/29 13:23
Arh, I was writing too slowly on my phone, looking at windows and duplicated you, GC3. Sorry!

. 2011/6/29 16:57
Thanks for the reply guys!

Hmm... I guess I won't be getting the JR West Pass then as
I won't be going to places outside of Kyoto.

The Kanku Access Ticket does sound like a good deal!
Will the Kansai Thru Pass allow me to take the same route as the Kanku Access Pass or travel from KIX to Kyoto Station?

Also,
I plan on taking trains on the Karasuma Subway, Keihan Railways, Kintetsu Railways, Hankyu Railways, Keifuku Railways & Tozai Subway Lines in Kyoto.

Will my best bet be the Kansai Thru Pass? WIll the pass cover all the Lines I mentioned above?

I apologize for sounding so ignorant. Its my first time traveling free and easy.

Thank You.
by Ghiblistic rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/29 17:15
I believe Sal1980 is misunderstanding the JR West rail pass that was mentioned by GC3. The JR West GC3 refered to is the Kansai Area Pass and is available for as little as one day for 2,000 Yen. As the Express fare is around 3,700 Yen, buying this pass is very good value even if you do not use it for any other travel:

http://www.jr-odekake.net/en/jwrp/kansai.html

The advantage of this route is that it is one train direct to Kyoto.

You could maybe get the Kansai Thru Pass, but it would normally require 4 different trains and take a lot longer journey (around 2 hours).

As for getting the Kansai Thru Pass for travel within Kyoto, it realy depends on how many train journeys you plan to make. If you think you are going to spend more than about 1,700 Yen a day on fare, then yes.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/29 18:05
I hadn't read GC3's post because I was writing mine, and was talking about the full JR pass, not the west one that was mentioned. I actually misread the OP's question.

I also incorrectly listed Tennoji station, when I meant Tengachaya.

Epic fail!

. 2011/6/30 01:43
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! Really appreciate it! :D

Just one more question... am I safe to assume that the Kansai Thru Pass includes access to Sight seeing buses as well? I'm referring to Buses 100 and 101.

Thanks!
by Ghiblistic rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/30 04:47
Yes, if you mean the 100 and 101 bus routes in Kyoto, they are cover by the Kansai Thru Pass.

Also, when previously said 1,700 Yen, that was based on a 3 day pass.

trains 2011/7/17 22:19
easiest way is from kansai to shin osaka than bullet train onto kyoto maynot be the cheapest but if you miss any trains don,t be dismayed there are always more, ask conductors questions maybe download a couple of maps but don,t stress you will get their. Have a nice trip
by mick (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/18 01:43
@ mick: It would be pointless to change to the Shinkansen at Shin Osaka as it would only save one minute over the Haruka Express. Also, the one minute gain would then be lost if exiting the front of the station as the Shinkansen tracks are further away.

reply to this thread