Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido 11/7-21/7 2011/7/4 00:39
Hi all, will be traveling F&E to Hokkaido from 11 July to 21 July.
Need some help on some places.

Will be covering these places:

Day 1: Chitose Airport (1155) - Sapporo - Odori (Watermark Hotel)

Day 2: Nijo Fish Market - Ishiya Chocolate Factory - Otaru

Day 3: Odori - Furano (Sumire Inn)

Day 4: Nakafurano - Kamifurano - Biei - Furano

Day 5: Furano - Yamabe - Obihiro - Tokachigawa (Hotel Daiheigen)

Day 6: Tokachigawa - Kushiro - Akan (Park Akan Inn)

Day 7: Akan - Shiretoko (HOTEL GRANTIA Shiretoko-Shari Ekimae)

Day 8: Shiretoko - Abashiri (Toyoko Inn Okhotsk Abashiri Ekimae )

Day 9: Abashiri - Flight (1825)

we will be renting our car from day 3.
will be travelling by train in Sapporo.

i have a few questions:

1. Rented our car from Kakuyasu Rent-a-Car. Its cheaper compared to ToCoo however i don't see any reviews about it. Has anyone rented from them before?

2. For Day 2, was thinking of walking from the Chocolate Factory to Hassumu JR station to take the train to Otaru. It's about 1.5km. Has anyone tried walking this route? or is taking a taxi/bus more feasible

3. For Day 6, should i skip Kushiro? was thinking of exploring the marshland and crane centre but the drive itself takes 5 hours according to google maps and i'm worried there's no time for Akan itself.

4. Having some difficulties for the sequence of areas to visit in Akan followed by the drive down to Shiretoko and within Shiretoko itself. would appreciate if someone with a similar itinerary could share some tips!

Thank you!
by melissa7  

... 2011/7/4 10:10
For Day 2, was thinking of walking from the Chocolate Factory to Hassumu JR station to take the train to Otaru. It's about 1.5km. Has anyone tried walking this route? or is taking a taxi/bus more feasible

It is within easy walking distance (20-30 minutes). Easy to find if you study the map in advance a little bit.

For Day 6, should i skip Kushiro? was thinking of exploring the marshland and crane centre but the drive itself takes 5 hours according to google maps and i'm worried there's no time for Akan itself.

Yes, I would skip Kushiro and go to Akan directly to slow down the pace.

Having some difficulties for the sequence of areas to visit in Akan followed by the drive down to Shiretoko and within Shiretoko itself.

I recommend to start with Lake Akan, then see the Mashuko/Kussharoko area and then see Shiretoko. I would limit myself to just the eastern coast of Shiretoko (the Utoto side), where most attractions are within short drives of each other.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/4 15:14
Hi Uji-san

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have decided to walk as the distance seems doable.

For the 2nd half of my itinerary i was thinking of changing to do this:

Day 6: Tokachigawa - Kushiro - Akan (Park Akan Inn)

We will set off from our Hotel Daiheigen at 9am and drive straight to Kushiro Marshland (2h44 drive)

As it's a Sunday, we have to give Washo Market a miss as it is closed.

If there is time, we would go to the Crane Center (40min drive from Marshland), if not we will drive straight to Akan-ko area.

We will visit Ainu Kotan and explore the area for the day.

I am having trouble finding the operating hours for Ainu Kotan and the dance performances.

Do you know of the hours?

Day 7: Akan - Shiretoko (HOTEL GRANTIA Shiretoko-Shari Ekimae)

After breakfast, we will drive to Lake Mashu, Mount Io, Kawayu Onsen, Lake Kussharo.

Have not estimated the timings, may probably drop 1 place if there is not enough time.

We will drive down to our hotel from Lake Kussharo (1h43mins).

Day 8: Shiretoko - Abashiri (Toyoko Inn Okhotsk Abashiri Ekimae )

After breakfast, we will drive to Oshinkoshin Falls (51min from hotel), Furepe Falls, Shiretoko 5 Lakes.

We will drive from Shiretoko to our hotel in Abashiri.

As Abashiri has nothing much, i was considering just exploring it before we take our flight at 1825.

My current plan would be checking in later for our hotels during the 2nd half of the journey.

This would mean we would be driving with our luggages around.

Is my plan too cramped or impossible in your opinion?
by melissa7 rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/4 15:44
I strongly recommend not to base yourself at Shiretoko-Shari Station, but spend one night in Akan National Park and one night in Shiretoko National Park instead. Not only does it dramatically reduce time spend driving forth and back, but staying inside the national parks is more attractive than staying in a town (Shari) that has almost nothing to see and do.

.... 2011/7/4 16:48
I have found a few hotels near the Shiretoko National Park area.
Namely, Iruka Hotel, Pension Rausukuru,Shiretoko Daiichi Hotel

Still waiting a reply from Iruka. I have emailed them quite long ago. Daiichi is full and Pension Rausukuru needs to be booked by phone.

Do you have any other hotels/minshuku to recommend?

... 2011/7/4 17:26
No worries Uji-san. I just found a few other hotels around that area and will enquire on the availability. Thanks for your help!

... 2011/7/4 17:50
I recommend Utoro as a base for Shiretoko. I like the Shiretoko Grand Hotel because it is down in the town:
http://www.japanican.com/hotels/ShisetsuDetail.aspx?st=1202003&ref=EXJ...

.... 2011/7/6 02:29
Thank you for your suggestion!

Thankfully Iruka Hotel replied and i will be staying there.

For Day 1, i'll be staying at Watermark Sapporo (near odori station).

I would like to know from JR Sapporo itself, to transfer to Nanboku Line to Odori, are there staircases?

... 2011/7/6 09:24
All subway station have escalators and/or elevators for accessing the platform.

..... 2011/7/11 01:26
may i know how long it takes to drive from Kaminokoike Pond 神の子池 to Utoro?

i checked google maps but its 4 hours. is it accurate?

.... 2011/7/11 03:20
i found the answer to my question already.

thank you for your help uji-san!

Rental Company Legit 2011/7/11 11:06
Hi, I just came back from a three-day trip and rented with the same car company (Kakuyasu); the process was smooth and efficient and they even left me a nice little welcome fax.

If you are driving to Abashiri can I suggest stopping at Koshimizu to take some pics of the ponies and flowers? It won't be too awe-inspiring after the fields in Furano but the view was pretty nonetheless (and it is on the way).
by Melissa W rate this post as useful

reply to this thread