Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

harakuju photo studio in Tokyo? 2011/7/7 01:02
s there any photo studio to take my picture dressed up as harakuju in Tokyo?
by mussebo  

.. 2011/7/7 21:30
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you! 2011/7/7 22:10
I saw this website before but I only see they dress people up as maiko or geiko... no as harakuju...
thank you anyways for your help! =)
by mussebo rate this post as useful

harakuju? 2011/7/7 22:40
Mussebo,

What's a "harakuju"?
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Harakuju 2011/7/8 00:59
This fashion infuses multiple looks and styles to create a unique form of dress. The cyber-punk look takes its influence from gothic fashion and incorporates neon and metallic colors.

Punk style in Harajuku is more of a fashion than a statement. Its fashion mainly consists of dark colors, plaid, chains, and zippers. Punk style is also one of the more gender-neutral fashions in Harajuku.
check it out some of the pix:

http://www.google.com/search?q=harajuku&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:...

;)

harakuju...lovers? 2011/7/8 02:20
That sounds pretty cool, though unfortunately not my kinda thing. And I'm still curious about the answer to Dave's original question
by jaeten rate this post as useful

.. 2011/7/8 09:15
They are called cosplayers. They put their own costumes. You can buy them in many stores in Harajuku. I don't know any place that rent costumes.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

=) 2011/7/8 10:15
Jaeten

Hum...Harakuju I guess from my understanding is way of life and a hard core street fashion, is like a westen punk rock style mixed with gothic-hippie style in a easten way. That's is my definition for it. But pixs speakes for itself better then works, if you didn't check it out yet take a look yourself. I hope this explanation is more clear...

http://www.google.com/search?q=harajuku+pictures&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&...

peace out!
r

Kajagoogoo? 2011/7/8 10:50
Mussebo,

When you've finished "peacing out", you might want to pause and take note of the fact that you have repeatedly written "harakuju", which is presumably why you have gotten so many blank looks. The place in Tokyo is correctly spelled "Harajuku", and if you want to dress up like that, that is the place to go. Takeshita Street, immediately next to Harajuku Station, has loads of small shops selling clothes and accessories, and the LaForet building near the Meiji-jingu-mae intersection is also a mecca for weird and wonderful fashions. If you want to have your photo taken while dressed up, just hang around on the bridge next to Harajuku Station, and you will probably be snapped by foreign tourists who won't even bother to ask if it's OK to take your picture (that's why there are so few cosplayers and visual-kei types there these days).

by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Harajuku style 2011/7/8 10:53
Harajuku (not harakuju!) is the name of an area in Tokyo, and if you told Japanese people you wanted to "dress as Harajuku" they would have no idea what you meant. Probably better to say something like "in Harajuku style", then people might have more idea what you mean. The main point of Harajuku style though is that it's very individual, not a specific style.
by gemstone (guest) rate this post as useful

harajuku style 2011/7/8 11:44
Mussebo,

So by Harajuku you mean you'd like to dress up in some of the myriad street fashions (which might be seen more as fashion styles rather than cosplay) that can be seen around Harajuku? Or are you specifically interested in the cyber punk/goth styles?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any photo studios that cater to what you are looking for, but there is a new type of "cosplay studio" that are opening up which cosplayers/photographers can rent shooting time. I think you may need to provide your own costumes and photographer for most of them though, and I haven't seen any english websites, so this may not be a viable option.

Another option would be to check out a love hotel which sometimes rent costumes (or so I hear). Love hotel hill in nearby Shibuya has a large concentration of them. Again, I'm not sure if they would typically offer cyberpunk or goth costumes since they might be considered more a fashion style than cosplay.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

got it! 2011/7/8 17:45
thank you for all your responses, it was very helpful! =)

cosquerade 2011/7/15 10:46
Not sure if Hiroshima is on your itinerary, but I just read about this event in the Japan Times. Maybe that's something that would be of interest to you.

http://cosquerade.com/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Cosquerade 2011/7/15 21:40
I really appreciate your posting, but unfortunate I'm going to be there only in the end of September, for 3 days!
thankx again! =)

reply to this thread