Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting to Koya-san? 2011/7/8 23:02
Just wondering if there's any alternative ways of getting to Koya-san other than the Nankai Koya line? I understand it's in the Wakayama area, which I'm not too far from myself. There's a Wakayamashi sen station nearby, is there any chance I can take that and possibly change trains somewhere along the line?

I've heard it's cheaper to take commuter trains and change at Kita-Tengachaya for the Koya line rather than buying the Koyasan World Heritage Ticket, any thoughts on this?
by Indrawati (guest)  

... 2011/7/10 12:03
Just wondering if there's any alternative ways of getting to Koya-san other than the Nankai Koya line?

You can drive there or - outside of winter - approach it from the south from Tanabe City by bus. Traditionally, pilgrims have also been walking there.

If you are in Wakayama City and don't want to drive there, you have two main options:

1) Nakai Railways via Tengachaya Station; I believe a World Heritage Pass would provide you with savings over regular tickets.

2) Take the JR Wakayama Line to Hashimoto and then the Nankai Koya Line to Koyasan. This a more direct route, but due to the infrequent, slow service along the line, it is often slower, especially if you start your journey from Wakayama-shi Station.

You can look up routes and fares yourself here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread