Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how about change (coins) at ATMs? 2011/7/14 09:34
So how does one get coins for lockers if taking money out of ATMs? Are there change machines to get 100 yen coins and what is the largest bill they take? That is, what is the standard bill sizes that come out of ATMs? For instance in the US $20 bills are most common. What is most common in Yen?
Also do you have to know how much you are taking out in Yen or in your home currency?
by magicmark (guest)  

atms 2011/7/14 09:45
So how does one get coins for lockers if taking money out of ATMs? Are there change machines to get 100 yen coins and what is the largest bill they take?

Sometimes there are change machines especially around large banks of lockers at the airport or major stations, but more often its easier to find a vending machine and get change that way. Change machines usually accept a variety of bills, while vending machines only handle 1000 yen bills.

That is, what is the standard bill sizes that come out of ATMs? For instance in the US $20 bills are most common. What is most common in Yen?

Postal and 711 ATMs (the most useful to foreigners) dispense 10,000 yen notes, but I don't recall if they also dispense 1000 yen notes. Then again, since there is a flat fee for an international withdrawal, you're better off withdrawing a few 10,000 yen at a time rather than 1000 yen notes.

Also do you have to know how much you are taking out in Yen or in your home currency?

Yen. And make sure not to request over your daily withdrawal limit (and be aware of the time difference because the limit resets based on your home time zone) as the transaction will fail but you'll still be charged for the attempt. I'd recommend calling your bank before you travel to let them know you'll be visiting Japan and to increase your daily atm withdrawal limit to a reasonably high amount so you don't get stuck unable to withdraw money.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/14 11:42
In addition to the good advice already given, I've only come across ATM's that dispense 10000 yen notes.

Ticket machines at train stations can also accept 10000 yen notes I believe. There's plenty of convenience stores around too.

When using the ATM, take your receipt because it should display the balance of your account, in yen. It saves you wondering how much yen you have available.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

atms 2011/7/14 14:59
All ATMs that I have ever used dispense 1,000 yen notes as well as 10,000 yen notes- it's quite possible to withdraw 16,000 yen for example. If you select the ˆê•”—¼ŠO option you will get mostly 1,000 yen notes.
by kaba (guest) rate this post as useful

change 2011/7/14 16:12
More often than not you'll find a machine that will change a 1000yen bill for 100yen coins near coin lockers. Game centers(arcades) have them too.
by Nigo (guest) rate this post as useful

change machines 2011/7/14 17:03
More often than not you'll find a machine that will change a 1000yen bill for 100yen coins near coin lockers.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Except for at lockers rooms or large banks of coin lockers at major stations, bill changers are exceedingly rare.

Suica 2011/7/15 03:10
Ylwsmrf is right. I shoud've added major stations. My apologies.
In Tokyo you can also use Pasmo or Suica at some stations to pay for coin lockers. Suica for JR-stations and Pasmo for non-JR

so how to get the coins? 2011/7/15 04:12
So if I get money from an ATM can I then go someplace in the airport to get change without buying anything? In the next two days I will need to get two lockers possibly so wanted 100 yen coins. maybe 10 of them.
by magicmark rate this post as useful

more info 2011/7/15 07:12
Which airport will you be using? And do you already know at which locations or stations you plan to use coin lockers? There are websites in Japanese that can be searched for you about coin locker facilities, including the location of money changers.

bills accepted 2011/7/15 07:34
The coin lockers that accept Pasmo or Suica cards usually accept 1000yen notes too. They have central payment machine which looks like small ATM.

airports and train stations. 2011/7/15 08:34
Arriving in Naritia but need locker in JR Nikko for sure the next day and then maybe Kyoto the day after that.

airports and train stations. 2011/7/15 08:35
Arriving in Naritia but need locker in JR Nikko for sure the next day and then maybe Kyoto the day after that.
I guess the other concern is that if the ATMs are giving 10,000 notes I am not getting change that way.

lockers 2011/7/15 08:48
So if I get money from an ATM can I then go someplace in the airport to get change without buying anything? In the next two days I will need to get two lockers possibly so wanted 100 yen coins. maybe 10 of them.

I'm not sure that there are change machines at the airport (which one btw), perhaps someone else has spotted one. I'd just be prepared to have to buy something in case a change machine isn't readily available.

On the other hand, collecting spare change shouldn't be much of a problem in Japan. By the end of your trip you'll be weighed down by dozens of them and will probably end up buying stuff just to get rid of all the loose change.

In Tokyo you can also use Pasmo or Suica at some stations to pay for coin lockers. Suica for JR-stations and Pasmo for non-JR

No problem, and good point about the lockers that are payable by suica. Those are becoming more and more common and free you from the trouble of carrying exact change.

The coin lockers that accept Pasmo or Suica cards usually accept 1000yen notes too. They have central payment machine which looks like small ATM

I'd go as far to say that all lockers that accept suica also take cash. There's a screen to choose how you would like to pay. I think the last one I used might have also had an English menu system.

There are websites in Japanese that can be searched for you about coin locker facilities, including the location of money changers.

Here's the site for narita airport. You can find english station maps for most major stations by googling "NAME Station Map".

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/index_t1.html

Change 2011/7/15 08:51
If you are in desperate need of change for coin lockers, just buy a drink from a vending machine using a 1,000 yen note.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

lockers 2011/7/15 09:03
Arriving in Naritia but need locker in JR Nikko for sure the next day and then maybe Kyoto the day after that. I guess the other concern is that if the ATMs are giving 10,000 notes I am not getting change that way.

There should be ample time to pick up some loose change by the time you arrive in Nikko. Usually its most convenient to head to the nearest convenience store. Stores in Japan won't have any problem breaking large bills, even if you only buy a 5 yen piece of candy. Plus, how can you resist all those new and unique snacks to try! And you'll want to pick up something for the long train ride to Nikko.

thanks but 2011/7/15 23:03
Thanks for the suggestons of BUYING things to get change. However that is not what I was asking. I was asking how one can get change otherwise. Is there 24 hour money exchange places in the airport that would be able to provide mixed sets of bills and coins, what are the places called (ie bank, foreign exhcange center, post office) and how does the rate compare to ATM withdrawl.

Note I have a Schwab ATM card that covers all bank fees.

Narita 2011/7/16 06:44
I think it just seems so unlikely you won't spend any cash between arrival and getting to Nikko.

You can find operating hours for banks and ATM here:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/index.html

It's probably best to ask at one of the banks or information desks how you can obtain change.

change 2011/7/16 08:17
Thanks for the suggestons of BUYING things to get change. However that is not what I was asking. I was asking how one can get change otherwise.

Obviously the take away is that change machines are rare in Japan, and people usually use vending machines in their stead.

Your best bet will be to look for one at the airport, you might get lucky. Or check large stations like Tokyo and Shinjuku if you're passing through as they usually have one around their large coin locker rooms (when they have a large locker room). Regular station likely will NOT have coin changers at all.

In the end, you can't rely on change machines to be around when you need them, so just be prepared that you may HAVE to buy something in order to get change.

Is there 24 hour money exchange places in the airport that would be able to provide mixed sets of bills and coins, what are the places called (ie bank, foreign exhcange center, post office) and how does the rate compare to ATM withdrawl.

Yes, there are exchange counters at the airport open until 23:00. I believe they issue yen coins so you may be able to get some when doing an exchange, however their rates are a few percent worse than ATM withdrawal.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_11.html#t1

when in Japan... 2011/7/16 09:36
Most convenience stores, kiosks etc have signs saying that they do not give small change without a purchase, so unfortunately that isn't a way to get change either in Japan although it might be in some countries.

As others have said, even if you don't want to buy something to get change, the reality is that you will probably have to- it's what the people who live here have to do as well.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread